Conundrum - let's have some ideas on my tanks

Lefty469

I will likely make multiple posts to cover my questions as I have 3 main tanks I'm working with.

First up, I have a 29 gallon.  It's lightly planted and I'm adding more, but slowly.  It has aged driftwood with well rooted moss.  The tank is what I would consider well seasoned.  Water changes are kept to a minimum, and I rely on ACO test strips, a professional Ph meter, and the general appearance of the tank/behavior of the fish.

1 BN Pleco (a rescue from the cleaning cart at petco)

5 Serbia Cory's (Hi Cory)

10-15 Cardinal Tetras

10 Fork Tail Rainbow

3 Black Kuli's

This past week I added a Beta.  The first one I've had in close to 20 years.  It's a Galaxy Koi Candy Cane.  I named him Orion the Nebulous.

I want to add shrimp.  Is that a mistake?  Should I move the Beta out until the shrimp are established?  Can I do Cherry's or should I go with Bamboo?

242858954_165271829100376_1989637035715821593_n.jpg

Bettas definitely can predate any shrimp they can I’ve had a betta kill 3 large ghost shrimps in one evening. If I were you I would have a separate tank for the shrimp and use the betta as a culling predator. Or if you were to go with bamboo shrimp watch the bettas body language closely. Be blessed Jesus is coming soon

On 10/3/2021 at 4:57 PM, Lefty469 said:

I will likely make multiple posts to cover my questions as I have 3 main tanks I'm working with.

First up, I have a 29 gallon.  It's lightly planted and I'm adding more, but slowly.  It has aged driftwood with well rooted moss.  The tank is what I would consider well seasoned.  Water changes are kept to a minimum, and I rely on ACO test strips, a professional Ph meter, and the general appearance of the tank/behavior of the fish.

1 BN Pleco (a rescue from the cleaning cart at petco)

5 Serbia Cory's (Hi Cory)

10-15 Cardinal Tetras

10 Fork Tail Rainbow

3 Black Kuli's

This past week I added a Beta.  The first one I've had in close to 20 years.  It's a Galaxy Koi Candy Cane.  I named him Orion the Nebulous.

I want to add shrimp.  Is that a mistake?  Should I move the Beta out until the shrimp are established?  Can I do Cherry's or should I go with Bamboo?

242858954_165271829100376_1989637035715821593_n.jpg

If you haven't tested your betta with shrimp yet, I'd recommend caution. My betta who lived happily with other fish killed 2/3 shrimp the first night. Maybe try one shrimp and see how long that one lasts before you subject a whole bunch of them to possible slaughter.