What are the next hot new corydoras

Brandon p

I saw these and have never seen them like this if they were to breed true, a hit elegans cory? I’ll re phase never seen them this pink.

2.bearded Cory no pic

3.Hognose brochis my personal favorites it I could get them to breed they would be at the top.

I k ow some of you know all these feel free to mention others I could have a few more. I’m going to be need some that are reaching 12-13 old the oldest corys I have ever had. One went missing last week and I’m not expecting long as they were all bought at the same time

3EA7A954-E60D-44E6-9898-1E6E35BEA785.jpeg

FBF366BD-DABE-4ADC-9F99-1957BCBEAC13.jpeg

• Like 1

Wow those are very interesting.  I’m personally attracted to muted color fish. Browns creams silver black etc. even with my guppies I think the girls are prettier.  My boys are royal blue and gorgeous but seem very “in your face” rather than blending with the environment.  
The pink in those is definitely standing out a lot. I almost wonder if they have been fed a specific diet to enhance the coloration like flamingos or if it is genetic.

• Like 1

On 10/3/2021 at 9:17 AM, Georgiapeach88 said:

How that’s hot pink. Not sure I like that wild colorization.

I can’t see how I know of the species and not seen them like this. I’m in contact we them trying to get 7-8 to see if they breed true. I’m to young to remember them dying ducks and chickens at Easter, but my 90 year old grandfather said they would dye Minnows from the River. I have never hear that before or after but I never researched them. Holly I can get some and see

On 10/3/2021 at 2:16 PM, Colu said:

I think they have been dyed that doesn't look natural

I think so, read the comment above 

On 10/3/2021 at 6:03 AM, Guppysnail said:

Wow those are very interesting.  I’m personally attracted to muted color fish. Browns creams silver black etc. even with my guppies I think the girls are prettier.  My boys are royal blue and gorgeous but seem very “in your face” rather than blending with the environment.  
The pink in those is definitely standing out a lot. I almost wonder if they have been fed a specific diet to enhance the coloration like flamingos or if it is genetic.

I like both I have tanks that with the plants the fish  fit right in but my discus is the opposite. It look natural but the fish are the show

Painting/dyeing aquarium fish, also called "juicing" has been going on forever. Unethical sellers will use a variety of methods to achieve a "unique" color only available through them. Some will inject a dye directly into the fish on repeated occasions to build a color in the fish. Others will first dip a fish into a lye solution to remove their slime coat then dip them into a dye to color their scales. On the more scientific level some will now use a laser and a dye to color a fish. 

Back in the '60's-'70's Black Moor Goldfish became trendy for a bit and getting a true black Black Moor became almost impossible as every telescope eye goldfish was being dyed/painted black to sell them as a Black Moor. Within a few weeks/months the black would disappear. (And not just because of the normal coloration change of goldfish. In many cases you could see the color peeling off them.) 

The aquarium fish most likely to be "juiced" these days are goldfish, Corys, plecos, African cichlids, Oscars, and some tetras. It happens with koi also. If a koi is late developing sumi (the intense black) some breeders will "enhance" the sumi to make the fish more sellable. A bit of black ink applied to the scales can add sumi and make the fish more sellable. Done right, it's nearly impossible to detect that the sumi isn't real. The right artificial sumi can take a koi that would sell for a few hundred dollars and make it sell for thousands. A gifted koi painter/juicer can buy cheaper koi, add a bit of sumi, and sell them at a very good profit.

It's a buyer beware market out there for fish hobbyists if you see a unique new color on a fish. Dyed fish tend to die young. Those that survive long term will revert to their natural color over time. There are a lot of people out there attempting to con unsuspecting buyers. If a seller refuses to show you the parent fish, it's typically a good indicator that you're buying an artificially colored fish.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I like good looking fish but to go out of ones way to paint/dye/tattoo/laser etch and whatever other outlandish method they use to make the fish not what they are supposed to be is just plain wrong.  

I know "selective breeding" is a minor form of genetic manipulation but that is as far as I am willing to go.  Breeding 2 pretty guppies together to make more pretty guppies is one thing.   Taking them out for cosmetic surgery is quite another!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 10/4/2021 at 7:30 AM, gardenman said:

Painting/dyeing aquarium fish, also called "juicing" has been going on forever. Unethical sellers will use a variety of methods to achieve a "unique" color only available through them. Some will inject a dye directly into the fish on repeated occasions to build a color in the fish. Others will first dip a fish into a lye solution to remove their slime coat then dip them into a dye to color their scales. On the more scientific level some will now use a laser and a dye to color a fish. 

Back in the '60's-'70's Black Moor Goldfish became trendy for a bit and getting a true black Black Moor became almost impossible as every telescope eye goldfish was being dyed/painted black to sell them as a Black Moor. Within a few weeks/months the black would disappear. (And not just because of the normal coloration change of goldfish. In many cases you could see the color peeling off them.) 

The aquarium fish most likely to be "juiced" these days are goldfish, Corys, plecos, African cichlids, Oscars, and some tetras. It happens with koi also. If a koi is late developing sumi (the intense black) some breeders will "enhance" the sumi to make the fish more sellable. A bit of black ink applied to the scales can add sumi and make the fish more sellable. Done right, it's nearly impossible to detect that the sumi isn't real. The right artificial sumi can take a koi that would sell for a few hundred dollars and make it sell for thousands. A gifted koi painter/juicer can buy cheaper koi, add a bit of sumi, and sell them at a very good profit.

It's a buyer beware market out there for fish hobbyists if you see a unique new color on a fish. Dyed fish tend to die young. Those that survive long term will revert to their natural color over time. There are a lot of people out there attempting to con unsuspecting buyers. If a seller refuses to show you the parent fish, it's typically a good indicator that you're buying an artificially colored fish.

I have heard of these things but thought it was an extremely rare thing.  It is appalling to know it is not rare! 😡

On 10/4/2021 at 9:00 AM, Guppysnail said:

I have heard of these things but thought it was an extremely rare thing.  It is appalling to know it is not rare! 😡

Blueberry Oscars are a commonly available dyed fish. Some of the extreme red and yellow Oscars you see these days are dyed also. People want something more colorful and unique, so the unethical dealers provide it. Blood Parrot cichlids with unique patterns/coloring are sometimes produced in such a fashion. If you see something new and unique, you have to be very cautious about how it came about. With koi, sumi develops over years, so if you find a youngish fish with good sumi, it's probably been dyed.

• Sad 4

Thank you I think we all feel the same about dyeing fish. I don’t buy glow fish even though they are not dyed but genetically modified and breed the be same color as the parents. I also don’t blame my grandfather one of 12 children and whose father died in his 40’’. 

the Hoghose Cory is my favorite but the bearded Cory is jut cool lots of contrast of light and dark and bland

I have corydoras elegans and they are not that pink in person. I think the picture has been manipulated and it was taken in bad lighting, with the brightness and contrast cranked up.

Corydoras elegans have a range of appearances. Some have a pinkish base spacer.png

And some have more of an ochre base, with a bit more gray/black to them, like this: 

spacer.png

Mine look more like the latter. Either way, great corydoras species and one of the more petite varieties. I love ours.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 10/3/2021 at 9:17 PM, Brandon p said:

I can’t see how I know of the species and not seen them like this. I’m in contact we them trying to get 7-8 to see if they breed true. I’m to young to remember them dying ducks and chickens at Easter, but my 90 year old grandfather said they would dye Minnows from the River. I have never hear that before or after but I never researched them. Holly I can get some and see

I think so, read the comment above 

I remember that.  If I remember right they'd inject the dye in the eggs, and the chicks would hold the color until their initial "fluff" went away and they grew feathers.

I haven’t seen any of the above Cory’s, however I recently did see red laser Cory’s and they were spectacular. Laser Cory’s are my fave so upon seeing them, I instantly have to have all 3 laser types. Preferably in large schools in 3 separate large aquariums. FYI, Love the photos above. 

On 10/4/2021 at 1:10 PM, laritheloud said:

I think the picture has been manipulated and it was taken in bad lighting, with the brightness and contrast cranked up.

This is probably even more common than actual manipulation of the fish. It is trivial to manipulate a photo these days. The seller can then blame stress (and you) for loss of color.

I saw one recently where there was a reflection of their hand in the photo, and their hand was neon pink colored. Dead giveaway imo.

• Like 1