Aquarist relapse, MTS in Georgia

Jawjagrrl

On 10/14/2021 at 11:04 AM, lindabee53 said:

I retired from a financial services company, too.  It was a good place to work, only two of us in the office - the financial advisor and I.  I couldn't have a tank - company rule - but I had plants, and I was in front of a big window.  At my previous job, I had a 3-gallon tank and it was a lifesaver.  Sanity saver?

Thanks for sharing your fish stories and information.  I don't even have any fish in my tank yet.  Shoot, I'm at the soaking driftwood stage, and we had a boil-water notice rescinded just last evening, so there's that.  And I'm in no rush.

How curious for three of us in one small discussion were in that field for at least a time. I was the only creative on staff in a company of thousands of people, so it was quite the shift from the design studio/ad agency side of things. My little sanity tank is back in use for shrimp and is the one doing the best of all so far, oddly enough. 

Look forward t hearing about your new journey back into the hobby and how it goes. Someone else here from Texas that has water over 9.0ph! Are you working with liquid rock too? I got my shrimp in from Houston and they were running around 7.6-7.8. I'm not always the most patient person, but going super slow with planning the feature tanks in our den and enjoying the little ones for now. Really glad our well water is quite good (perhaps high in iron) and I can use it right away and not have to age it like I did in town years ago.

I thought it was odd that three of us had a somewhat similar field in our pasts.

I never heard the term "liquid rock" until I came here, but that may apply.  Most people here don't have, and can't afford, whole house water softeners, so we've reconciled ourselves to replacing hot water heaters, dishwashers, etc. every so often.  (Seriously, I'd love to have a dishwasher that I'd have to worry about replacing.)

I've thought about starting a journal on this tank, but I hate to think that I'll show the entire world what an idiot I am.  On the other hand, that's never stopped me before, and when people stop rolling on the floor, maybe they'll give me good advice.  That's all I've gotten here so far - the people are great!

• Love 1

On 10/14/2021 at 5:00 PM, Sunny said:

I'm in GA, too! Atlanta metro area. There's apparently a good LFS up in Roswell, but... it's on the other side of the city from me, hah.

I'm up in the mountains where the ATL folks come for the lakes in the summer and a glimpse of snow in the winter 🙂 There are a couple good LFS over in Athens, but that's 2 hours of driving for me. The closer ones have gone reptile - lots of snake and lizard lovers around here. They are fun too, but I'd rather do fish. I see enough lizards and snakes outside here.

On 10/14/2021 at 4:24 PM, lindabee53 said:

I thought it was odd that three of us had a somewhat similar field in our pasts.

I never heard the term "liquid rock" until I came here, but that may apply.  Most people here don't have, and can't afford, whole house water softeners, so we've reconciled ourselves to replacing hot water heaters, dishwashers, etc. every so often. 

I just replaced the last of my daily use glasses that were totally clouded up from being used where I lived in VA, so I can relate. Even here I can scrape minerals off tank hoods after awhile. No wonder my neocaradina shrimp seem happy 😄

• 3 months later...