Aquarist relapse, MTS in Georgia

Jawjagrrl

Hello all, hope I did this in the right spot! Been a long time since I haunted an old fashioned forum, but it feels good!

My Dad was keeping fish throughout the 60s, and I still have his thick and much-loved copy of Herbert Axlerod's fish keeping book from that time. He had a whole wall of tanks in a small apartment, the chrome framed ones with lots of live plants. Boy has the hobby changed since then! 

I got the bug in the 90s and soon had 2 55s with African and SA cichlids and a 15gal hex community tank. But life happened and the tanks got stored.

In the early teens I got a little 2.5 tank for my desk at work and kept a trio of neons around for 4 years! But recently I discovered Cory and his channel and the concept of aquascaping - beautiful tanks and lights that were as much art as fish keeping. As a former art director and animal lover always, I jumped in again. We now have two 5gal portrait tanks for bettas, rasboras, and snails. The 2.5gal is back in service for shrimp, which might be my favorite! Those two 55s are in the basement, waiting for new life. Look forward to interacting and sharing ideas, including yours for those bigger tanks that have a custom stand so they can be setup side by side 🙂

pictured is the tank I setup to get my spouse engaged in the hobby - the At-At in Endor was his idea. Wood and moss from our farm was used along with a few aquatic plants. A betta we got "by accident" with an impulse bid for a listing with zero bids is the lucky resident along with his zebra snail BFF.

20211002_193509.jpg

Edited by Jawjagrrl
Typos!
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

I don't remember there being another forum member who was or is professionally into art - though I could be wrong. That's an interesting detail! 

And yeah, a bit of aquarium life on the desk makes working so much less bleck. I'm about to move, but I hope to set up the new place with that lovely little feature. 🙂

• Like 1

On 10/3/2021 at 7:55 AM, Jawjagrrl said:

Hello all, hope I did this in the right spot! Been a long time since I haunted an old fashioned forum, but it feels good!

My Dad was keeping fish throughout the 60s, and I still have his thick and much-loved copy of Herbert Axlerod's fish keeping book from that time. He had a whole wall of tanks in a small apartment, the chrome framed ones with lots of live plants. Boy has the hobby changed since then! 

I got the bug in the 90s and soon had 2 55s with African and SA cichlids and a 15gal hex community tank. But life happened and the tanks got stored.

In the early teens I got a little 2.5 tank for my desk at work and kept a trio of neons around for 4 years! But recently I discovered Cory and his channel and the concept of aquascaping - beautiful tanks and lights that were as much art as fish keeping. As a former art director and animal lover always, I jumped in again. We now have two 5gal portrait tanks for bettas, rasboras, and snails. The 2.5gal is back in service for shrimp, which might be my favorite! Those two 55s are in the basement, waiting for new life. Look forward to interacting and sharing ideas, including yours for those bigger tanks that have a custom stand so they can be setup side by side 🙂

pictured is the tank I setup to get my spouse engaged in the hobby - the At-At in Endor was his idea. Wood and moss from our farm was used along with a few aquatic plants. A betta we got "by accident" with an impulse bid for a listing with zero bids is the lucky resident along with his zebra snail BFF.

20211002_193509.jpg

2FF3FBCE-6B7D-4944-AFA2-9B9EFDE17696.jpeg.e9d487e3c923c52ba3730d2cb8c6e1b1.jpeg

• Love 1

On 10/3/2021 at 12:48 AM, Atitagain said:

Welcome to the forum, love the At-At, seen some different Star Wars deco and want to do a themed tank. 

There are some cool decos out there, which I'm not usually into (I like a natural look), but really had fun with this and it's my favorite of our 3 tanks now. There is a cool Degobah vivarium setup on pintrest you'd probably like as well for inspiration.

On 10/4/2021 at 2:29 AM, CalmedByFish said:

I don't remember there being another forum member who was or is professionally into art - though I could be wrong. That's an interesting detail! 

And yeah, a bit of aquarium life on the desk makes working so much less bleck. I'm about to move, but I hope to set up the new place with that lovely little feature. 🙂

These portrait tanks are a bit of a pain to scape as they are awkward to work in. but to get 5 gallons in such a small footprint was hard to resist. Got a great deal on this one recently - like $20 less than my original one I just bought in July. Different brand, but clearly made by the same company, this one is marketed for a specific type of fish (glofish). 

The advances in equipment and aesthetics of tank design that wasn't really a thing in the 90s when I first started are part of what drew me back in. Amazed by what the best scapers can create for the international competition - which needs more Americans 😉 But honestly I love nature in all forms so a return was probably inevitable. Getting my husband excited as TheDonald blew a bubble nest less than 24 hours after moving into this tank was just a bonus! I think those bigger tanks just became a lot more likely 😄

Edited by Jawjagrrl
accidental merge
  • Like 1

On 10/4/2021 at 9:49 AM, Jill Wright said:

Hey Jawjagrrl I’m in Georgia, too! Just a few miles south of ATL! Beautiful tank! I would love to have some type of old truck to hide in the weeds in my tank. Really like the look. 

Hey neighbor 🙂 Hope you have more local options than we do up here, which seems to be the land of reptiles these days (not that there is anything wrong with that). I have one LFS and the new owners are reptile people and are trying to learn about fish, but without good results so far 😞 

I feel like I've seen a rusty truck deco online somewhere - great idea. And a great excuse to NOT trim your live plants, haha! We're on a farm, so doing something like that was a consideration too.

Edited by Jawjagrrl

On 10/4/2021 at 9:52 AM, Jawjagrrl said:

There are some cool decos out there, which I'm not usually into (I like a natural look), but really had fun with this and it's my favorite of our 3 tanks now. There is a cool Degobah vivarium setup on pintrest you'd probably like as well for inspiration.

I like the natural look as well that’s why I haven’t bought any, but if I did do a themed tank that’s what I’d go for.

Welcome back! If I had something as large as a 55 I'd look into congo tetras most likely myself.  That is one of my someday dream.  I've been massively in love with the blue eyed rainbowfish as well. I know I say this in almost every post but they are wonderful little guys that I feel like are really underrated in the hobby.  Most people go for either tetras or the larger rainbowfish.  I spent most of today watching my males spar and try to impress the females.  They are gorgeous on their own but when they are flaring and displaying they are just absolutely stunning.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2021 at 7:04 PM, Alison said:

Welcome back! If I had something as large as a 55 I'd look into congo tetras most likely myself.  That is one of my someday dream.  I've been massively in love with the blue eyed rainbowfish as well. I know I say this in almost every post but they are wonderful little guys that I feel like are really underrated in the hobby.  Most people go for either tetras or the larger rainbowfish.  I spent most of today watching my males spar and try to impress the females.  They are gorgeous on their own but when they are flaring and displaying they are just absolutely stunning.

I think they are very likely candidates. 😄 I actually have two 55s and a special stand I got a friend to build so they can be placed side by side - so you end up with an insane long expanse of fish! The room that will house them can't support a deeper tank like a 75/90/125, etc., so it will be really nice built out even if it means I forgo discus or oscars, etc. We're on a farm and I want to identify the perfect tree stump we can age out then cut in half/quarters with the idea of placing bookend pieces in each tank where they meet, creating the illusion of one really long tank, probably an amazon style. We can then use one half for largish feature fish like a a geophagus tapajo or similar and appropriate tankmates and still have the other side for smaller things like schools of neons, etc. I did enjoy my africans, but I really want to embrace aquascaping and live plants more this time. I've got a 2.5 and two 5 gal nanos running now with live plants and 2/3 are looking great while the 3rd is really fighting me - melting plants, now what I think is staghorn algae run amok 😜 Good classroom before we do this on a much larger scale. It also gives me more time to get my hubby hooked! I saw him feed the betta next to his recliner a treat last night and he actually got distracted from TV by things the kuhli loaches were doing, so I think the table is set...

• Like 1
  • Love 3

On 10/12/2021 at 10:49 AM, Jawjagrrl said:

I think they are very likely candidates. 😄 I actually have two 55s and a special stand I got a friend to build so they can be placed side by side - so you end up with an insane long expanse of fish! The room that will house them can't support a deeper tank like a 75/90/125, etc., so it will be really nice built out even if it means I forgo discus or oscars, etc. We're on a farm and I want to identify the perfect tree stump we can age out then cut in half/quarters with the idea of placing bookend pieces in each tank where they meet, creating the illusion of one really long tank, probably an amazon style. We can then use one half for largish feature fish like a a geophagus tapajo or similar and appropriate tankmates and still have the other side for smaller things like schools of neons, etc. I did enjoy my africans, but I really want to embrace aquascaping and live plants more this time. I've got a 2.5 and two 5 gal nanos running now with live plants and 2/3 are looking great while the 3rd is really fighting me - melting plants, now what I think is staghorn algae run amok 😜 Good classroom before we do this on a much larger scale. It also gives me more time to get my hubby hooked! I saw him feed the betta next to his recliner a treat last night and he actually got distracted from TV by things the kuhli loaches were doing, so I think the table is set...

That sounds like a smart and amazingly awesome idea. I've never considered putting two tanks side by side like that to create a continuous scape. You know... if you have the space how awesome would three tanks be with the larger feature fish in the middle and two tanks on either side of schooling fish.  

Not that I needed any more ideas. And just for fun, enjoy my boy trying to stare down one of my kuli loaches. 

20210911_075713.jpg

• Love 1

On 10/12/2021 at 10:36 PM, Alison said:

That sounds like a smart and amazingly awesome idea. I've never considered putting two tanks side by side like that to create a continuous scape. You know... if you have the space how awesome would three tanks be with the larger feature fish in the middle and two tanks on either side of schooling fish.  

Not that I needed any more ideas. And just for fun, enjoy my boy trying to stare down one of my kuli loaches. 

20210911_075713.jpg

Three tanks.... could happen in the basement perhaps, half of which is finished. We dont spend time down there like we used to, but fish would change that 🙂

we also have cats, dogs and chickens. I've always had at least one cat that's a fish watcher and the current one is quite interested in the new kuhlis and the betta that occasionally tells them to get of "his" lawn. I made them some extra hidey hole caves from crepe myrtle bark they really like. I forgot how fun these guys can be. Just read about a lady that has had two in a 30yo setup... for 25 years! With angels and African cichlids, no less. Here's mine pretending to be a barbershop quartet.

20211012_172219.jpg

• Love 2

I absolutely adore that photo! I just have three cats and fish. I'd probably have a small farm if I could.  I absolutely adore animals. Then again the three meow's I already have are pretty high maintenance on their own.

I literally can't with how adorable that photo is.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2021 at 9:37 PM, Alison said:

I absolutely adore that photo! I just have three cats and fish. I'd probably have a small farm if I could.  I absolutely adore animals. Then again the three meow's I already have are pretty high maintenance on their own.

I literally can't with how adorable that photo is.

They are hilarious little fish. One purposely swims up and down over this cave until the betta sees him and comes over... taunting him. Then he just lays across the top, daring the betta to do something.

6 cats, 4 dogs, 9 chickens and now 2 bettas, 10 rasboras, 3 nerites, 5 kuhlis, 13 shrimp and countless bladder snails PLUS the market garden is a lot. But it beats "riding a desk" or dealing with academia politics any day. 😄

• Love 1

On 10/13/2021 at 11:14 PM, lindabee53 said:

I didn't know you can use crepe myrtle bark.  Do you have to do anything to it, soak it like you do driftwood?

We have so many kinds of wood on our property that I did some research on what was ok and what wasn't - most of it is fine. A few no gos, like green softwoods like pine (and you could probably age them long enough) or walnut, which has something in it that is toxic that I forgot the name of at the moment but functions as an inhibitor.

The 5gal tank in my post has sycamore, holly and a bit of oak. These were gathered and scrubbed of the easily removed debris and dirt, then boiled for a couple of hours to sterilize. These are small pieces - if it was a big piece for a large tank I'd probably do even longer. I then soaked until they were no longer buoyant.

I also use aged magnolia leaves for a little acidity and as hammocks for one of the bettas. He doesn't know almond leaves are what the cool kids are using and is just fine with it.

On 10/14/2021 at 7:39 AM, Jawjagrrl said:

They are hilarious little fish. One purposely swims up and down over this cave until the betta sees him and comes over... taunting him. Then he just lays across the top, daring the betta to do something.

6 cats, 4 dogs, 9 chickens and now 2 bettas, 10 rasboras, 3 nerites, 5 kuhlis, 13 shrimp and countless bladder snails PLUS the market garden is a lot. But it beats "riding a desk" or dealing with academia politics any day. 😄

eh yeah I work in a credit union so I feel ya and yeah I much prefer spending time wtih my animals and garden but the job isn't terrible and the company is actually really good. One of the best I've worked for. And it pays for my hobbies. But still I'd rather sit all day and stare at my tanks and pet cats and fuss with plants.

• Like 1

On 10/14/2021 at 7:49 AM, Alison said:

eh yeah I work in a credit union so I feel ya and yeah I much prefer spending time wtih my animals and garden but the job isn't terrible and the company is actually really good. One of the best I've worked for. And it pays for my hobbies. But still I'd rather sit all day and stare at my tanks and pet cats and fuss with plants.

My last job was also in financial services - anyone other than senior management was in cubes in a windowless room. Good company, strange culture. That's how I got a 2.5 gal nano tank to keep me sane. The market garden (organic) is hard work, but at this stage I need more autonomy and sunlight. Every woman on my floor at that job was on rx vitamin D because they were so deficient from years of no natural light except weekends.

On 10/14/2021 at 7:53 AM, Jawjagrrl said:

My last job was also in financial services - anyone other than senior management was in cubes in a windowless room. Good company, strange culture. That's how I got a 2.5 gal nano tank to keep me sane. The market garden (organic) is hard work, but at this stage I need more autonomy and sunlight. Every woman on my floor at that job was on rx vitamin D because they were so deficient from years of no natural light except weekends.

Yikes! That sounds more like my last job than current.  Some days are a bit rough dealing with sticky situations but at least I have loads of windows.  Not that there's much light to let in this time of the year in Michigan, so I still take vitamins.

I retired from a financial services company, too.  It was a good place to work, only two of us in the office - the financial advisor and I.  I couldn't have a tank - company rule - but I had plants, and I was in front of a big window.  At my previous job, I had a 3-gallon tank and it was a lifesaver.  Sanity saver?

Thanks for sharing your fish stories and information.  I don't even have any fish in my tank yet.  Shoot, I'm at the soaking driftwood stage, and we had a boil-water notice rescinded just last evening, so there's that.  And I'm in no rush.

• Like 1