Kribensis [Tank Size, Care, Parameters & Tank Mates]

FiShrewd

Ideally your tank should be 20 gallons or more for a pair of kribensis temperature 75-79 they except a wide range of pH but a pH of 7-7.5 seem the best  they are Omnivores feed a variety of hikari Cichlid pellets live and frozen foods such as blood worms brine shrimp daphnia they will also eat zucchini and mashed peas 

• Like 1

I have a pair in my 60gal community tank, they are pretty easy going (bit pouncy when they have something to protect).  I have Cory's (pygmy and standard size), siamese algae eaters, harlequin rasboras, Ottos and apistos.  The only fish they have issues with is the apistos but that's not overly aggressive. 

Lots of plants and caves and I agree with Colu about food but they aren't the fastest at getting to the food drop so you might have to keep an eye on that if you have more voracious fish with them.

Oh and I established a male then added a female which worked very well. But the other way round did not work well for me at all.

• Like 1

A 35 gallon is a good size. They'll likely hang around the lower areas of the aquarium. Some caves or hide aways will give them places to claim territory and retreat. If you have a pair expect fry at some point and keep in minding breeding kribs can be aggressive towards tank mates but I've bred mine with various community fish without any real issue, just some chasing around. 

I've kept mine with sponge filters and hang on back and I don't think it matters. Feed a variety of food, mine particularly like fluvial bug bites cichlid pellets. 

Fun fish. Again, if you have a pair prepare for fry! 

A 20 long is a good size tank for them; conversely a 40 breeder is also a good size. They do not need much height in the aquarium. Several sizes were mentioned in this thread but none of them talk about floor space. A 35 for example is not a typical size aquarium and many of them are tall with minimal floor space. They are not small fishes and while a common 10 might work i would recommend something larger. They are a soft water fish but very robust and can tolerate a wide range of parameters. I kept mine in a 40 breeder in a community aquarium. They can be a bit territorial so cory are a bit of a risk with them; but i did keep pygmy cory with them. A few were killed initially but after a while they established an understanding and then the kribs ignored them.

They like to shift through sand so soft small particle substrate is recommended. Caves and plants are also highly recommended as well as drift wood. Mine dug a deep hole under a piece of driftwood and called it home but i had deep substrate (2 1/2 to 3 inches of substrate) which gave them room to dig a nice comfortable home.

Edited by anewbie

My moliwe are in a 20 gallon heavy plants 75 degrees 7.0 bare bottom feed on blackworms, peanut beetle larvae, spirulina flake, krill flake, repashy mostly a grub pie with solient green mix. No fry yet but they cave up regularly it may be an issue with bear bottom in my setups with that pair of fish.

Pelvicachromis subocelletus moanda  26x18x9 approximately 18 gallon but closer to 16 gallons filled. Temp 72-74 depending on pump flow and room temperature, ph 7.0. Breed every 60 days in coconut huts. Smaller spawns 1st had 7 fry free swimming that tank was 26x18x15 and run at 77 degrees,  current 2nd spawn has about 20 fry or so 1st day out. Black blasting sand 1/2" coconut caves  in back corners, one ceramic apisto hut  in center, Brazilian pennywort floating, subwassertang in a clump for cover, a box filter and overflow sump. Foods are same but I feed live brine regularly. Blackworms have been left by parents who are teaching the fry how to eat them in my opinion.

Edited by mountaintoppufferkeeper