Algae eater for 29 gallon?

Kathy F

Currently stocked with 12 glodanios 12 glotetras and 8 gold/orange laser corydoras.   There is a small HOB, small sponge filter (I used to seed the tank, now just keeping it seeded for my next tank project) and UGF with large chunky smooth gravel on top.   I have been going back and forth whether to add an algae eater to the tank.    Currently have good algae growth, lights on 6 hours a day.  I have manually been removing the algae.   No, I can't add plants, rocks or wood this is my son's tank and he only wants fake decor nothing else so there aren't any hiding places other then the fake decor itself.  I have been considering mystery snails, nerite snails, various loaches, flag fish and even a bristlenose pleco but nothing sounds quite right for this set up so I have just left it alone.   What would you use for an artificial well stocked aquarium or would just keep doing manual removal of algae?   I also keep the aquarium on the cooler side at 75 degrees.

My nerite only patrol glass and hard surfaces. He is an olive. I know you spoke of your son loving the bright colors they have red racer and zebra nerites. I have 1 in a 29 that keeps the glass and hard scape looking good. I don’t grow much algae so you may need two. 

B6E675C1-5156-4883-9F7E-67395565F614.jpeg

2D7E37FD-1631-4AA4-A4E4-A2CFC27BC24E.png

So no plants may be great for a nerite

• Thanks 1

I have to concur, Nerite snails are the most effective algae cleaners (IME). I have them in alll of my tanks. My 20 gallon with 3 horned Nerites is squeaky clean, that includes leaves of plants not just glass/hardscape. They aren't the brightest colors but they are an incredible part of the aquarium eco system. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh and one thing I should mention is the females lay eggs. What's nice about Nerites is they won't reproduce- but some fishkeepers get irritated by females leaving eggs all over the tank- which are admittedly hard to clean off surfaces- they are hard and white. I only ended up with one female and I love her. She leaves what I've started to refer to twinkle lights, tinsel, decorations, etc. I embrace it and leave them, they tend to fade/disappear over time (takes a long while). Some fish stores will trade out the females if you don't want them (ask before buying).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1