Can you put clam/oyster shells in a tank?

Blaha

I was cleaning my art studio the other day, and found a bag of huge oyster shells. My wife says they are from a local river and she took them (after raccoons had already killed the organism) and cleaned them some amount of years ago with the idea of scraping off the surface to use the mother of pearl for jewelry. They are huge. About 4-5 inches across by 2-3 wide and tall. 

Are they safe to use in a fish tank? Is there more I'd have to do to make them safe besides rinsing dust off? Will plants like anubias or java take hold on them as a growing base? I think they'd be a beautiful addition and my fish can hide in them like caves.

Edited by Blaha
Typo

• Administrators

They should work just fine. Know that over time they can dissolve. This will add some minerals to the water. Usually not a problem in a planted tank. However a small tank with very infrequent water changes, could develop some extra hard water.

I use crushed oyster shell the same way people use crushed coral in their tanks. It won’t dissolve super quickly, but it will give you some extra calcium and buffer. To me it sounds like a win-win-win-win!

I can’t imagine anything dangerous would be alive on them after years out of the water. Maybe some mold/fungus/algae spores which I wouldn’t be worried about (what tank doesn’t have some algae??), but if you’re really worried you can try boiling them.

I’d love to see pictures of them when you have them in your tank!

I test twice a week and do changes as needed, but I also have been looking into ways to try and up my KH a bit so that could be useful. My water is on the hard side already but also soft compared to just how hard the water used to be at my old house when I wasn't on municipal water so I've gotten used to running hard water 

• Like 1

I'm doing a test of what these shells could look like while I plan a whole thing. The shells circled in red are the 2 in the tank in the photo. 
My overall image is a small terracotta pot/pipe with an anubias attached to it, and the pipe would be surrounded by shells and rocks to form a bunch of hiding spots and shape. 

ShellTank.png

• Like 1

On 10/4/2021 at 7:57 AM, ARMYVET said:

I ve never tried it myself....so I dont know the experience...but if @Guppysnailhas an entire garden of it....well then might be something I have to look into!

On 10/4/2021 at 7:54 AM, Hobbit said:

Oh don’t cha know— @Guppysnail ‘s fish have a whole pot garden!

My fish love their terra cotta playground. Weeeeeeeee🤣

On 10/4/2021 at 9:03 AM, Guppysnail said:

My fish love their terra cotta playground. Weeeeeeeee🤣

Holds lots of bb too!

Terracotta is raw earthen clay, as in from the ground and not a water deposit. It's very strong and clean and usually left uncoated by anything because they are pots and you don't want leeching. I had just never tried it before now but always knew it was cool

Edit: clay after the 1st kiln fire. After a second it becomes a deep chocolate brown which is also beautiful. I took a sculpture class where we dug up clay from a farm in Ohio

Edited by Blaha
Added more
  • Like 3

On 10/4/2021 at 8:54 AM, ARMYVET said:

😲 YOU CAN EAT IT?!?

The VA here helps veterans get a medical license, and teach about the entire endocannabinoid part of the endocrine system. 

You can research Bryan Krumm, CNP-P for more information. 

It's healthier for the lungs, and works as a more effective medicine, when ingested. 

Tastes like swamp, though. 

Sometimes tastes like swamp with watermint😅

Has reduced our 22 though, so I am in full support. 

• Like 1

On 10/4/2021 at 5:28 PM, Torrey said:

The VA here helps veterans get a medical license, and teach about the entire endocannabinoid part of the endocrine system. 

You can research Bryan Krumm, CNP-P for more information. 

It's healthier for the lungs, and works as a more effective medicine, when ingested. 

Tastes like swamp, though. 

Sometimes tastes like swamp with watermint😅

Has reduced our 22 though, so I am in full support. 

Well....I desperately try to learn something new every day....you all have taught me something new.  I doubt I would ever partake in it for my own personal reasons and respect everybody elses choice.  

My mind is definitely blown!

• Like 2

As for the original question, yes you can put clean oyster and clam shells in tanks.

Acidic water will rapidly begin wearing them down, until pH gets to 7.0, and then everything will stabilize... which is good for everyone except fish that need acidic water.

Snails, shrimp and livebearers benefit from the balanced presence of calcium, magnesium, and phosphorus you find in shells.

Of course, if you have a turtle (or apparently my service dog) the shells don't last long as they get eaten🙄

• Like 1