Submersible Lighting for Plants

Grey

Hello, I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or experience with lighting that can go in your tank?

I am looking to set up my first 10gal planted tanks (yes plural, go medium or go home?). Really the only place for them, that my dog won’t slide into, are my bookcases with limited height space. 

I was planning to buy the 20” stingray suggested by Aquarium Coop, but am not sure they will fit under the shelf. Then I saw an ad for an LED light you can suction cup on the underside of a glass lid. Could this work?

I am planning to stick with easy plants and beginner fish. I really like the Windelov Java fern and Banana plants. I have had good luck with Anubias and water sprite with my betta, so this gives you an idea of my experience/skill level.

Thank you in advance!

On 9/30/2020 at 5:48 AM, Daniel said:

Here is a 20" Finnex Stingray on a 10 gallon aquarium. I think sits proud of the rim by not quite 1 inch.

20200930_6300.JPG.7556fa8fba9fe27693f58f3ab207ea96.JPG

That might just fit in a tight space.

That is what I had wanted to buy but my shelf is exactly 13” high.

On 9/30/2020 at 11:03 PM, Travis said:

There are some submersible LED tubes available though I have never tried one personally. Could  double as a heater depending how much they generate. How sturdy are your bookcases? A single 10 gallon can weigh over a 100lbs filled.

I saw those on amazon, but most of the review pictures were not on planted tanks. I hadn’t seen them and wanted to make sure I wouldn’t electrocute or burn my fish. 😅

I have two of the IKEA Havsta (https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/havsta-shelving-unit-with-base-dark-brown-70391038/) they are solid pine and attached to my wall so I thought it would be safest. I’ve heard hardwoods are best, but it has done fine with the 6 gallon so far.

• Like 1

ive used the submersible led tubes before, they tend to go out after a year or less, constant moisture is just not good for lights it seems. there are some very flat profile lights available nowadays that should be able to sit on top of the glass. you can also use led strips and tape them to the top of the glass where they wont get wet. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Grey said:

I saw those on amazon, but most of the review pictures were not on planted tanks. I hadn’t seen them and wanted to make sure I wouldn’t electrocute or burn my fish. 😅

I have two of the IKEA Havsta (https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/havsta-shelving-unit-with-base-dark-brown-70391038/) they are solid pine and attached to my wall so I thought it would be safest. I’ve heard hardwoods are best, but it has done fine with the 6 gallon so far.

Im assuming you are using the solid fixed shelf in the middle which likely has a higher load capacity than what is listed by Ikea. I'm not trying to dissuade you but I would certainly keep a close eye on it after setup. If it works I think a 10 gallon would look very nice on these.

Screenshot 2020-10-02 at 9.27.16 PM.png

• Thanks 1

I have had some success with this Tetra LED; it attaches to the frame of the tank below the lid and has been really handy. It is keeping my hornwort alive, (using it in a guppy grow out tank,) but if you are planning on upgrading your plants at some point I'd suggest going with one of the flat LEDs as mentioned above, such as the Nicrew. Just got one of those as well and the brightness is stunning when compared to the old tube light I had on it before.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MTXRX9K?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I can't say if this Nicrew one is good for plants yet because I haven't had it long, but it has a low profile and the reviews were promising:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F7391M2?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

• Thanks 1

On 10/2/2020 at 10:31 PM, Travis said:

Im assuming you are using the solid fixed shelf in the middle which likely has a higher load capacity than what is listed by Ikea. I'm not trying to dissuade you but I would certainly keep a close eye on it after setup. If it works I think a 10 gallon would look very nice on these.

Screenshot 2020-10-02 at 9.27.16 PM.png

Yes! It seemed the sturdiest and I thing it frames the tanks well. I just set up one of the 10 gallons as a quarantine tank, so we shall see ☺️

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Kat_Rigel said:

I have had some success with this Tetra LED; it attaches to the frame of the tank below the lid and has been really handy. It is keeping my hornwort alive, (using it in a guppy grow out tank,) but if you are planning on upgrading your plants at some point I'd suggest going with one of the flat LEDs as mentioned above, such as the Nicrew. Just got one of those as well and the brightness is stunning when compared to the old tube light I had on it before.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MTXRX9K?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I can't say if this Nicrew one is good for plants yet because I haven't had it long, but it has a low profile and the reviews were promising:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F7391M2?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Thanks you for sharing!
I am only going with low light beginner plans so maybe the tetra will be enough. I ordered a Tetra and one of the Stingrays to test. The Nicrew was listed at .8” while the Stingray is .75” and looks like the thicker sides come off?

1 hour ago, Grey said:

Thanks you for sharing!
I am only going with low light beginner plans so maybe the tetra will be enough. I ordered a Tetra and one of the Stingrays to test. The Nicrew was listed at .8” while the Stingray is .75” and looks like the thicker sides come off?

Are you referring to the legs of the light? I haven't tried setting it directly against the lid but I suppose it should work. The Nicrew was SIGNIFICANTLY brighter (and nicer) than the fluorescent bulb/hood that came with the aquarium. I can't speak to the Stingray because I haven't had one.