Help please Alternanthera Reineckii Rosanervig Red Tissue Culture

I bought these. Alternanthera Reineckii Rosanervig Red Tissue Culture Buy 2 get one free. I have never used a tissue culture. How do you transition is there anything I need to know?  I have also never tried this plant all advice tips tricks suggestions welcome please. Thank you in advance for your time. 

B0F49709-68ED-44DF-B303-389B8CB64DAA.jpeg

On 9/29/2021 at 6:12 PM, Guppysnail said:

How do I transition a tissue culture?  I’ve never used one. 

I’m new to them also. I’ve bought three cups (Pogostemon Helferi and Rotala Macranda)  and I’m growing them out emersed style on Wabi Kusa.  Using that method they’re growing crazy fast. I’m considering submerging them to see what happens.

• Like 1

On 9/29/2021 at 9:15 PM, Patrick_G said:

I’m new to them also. I’ve bought three cups (Pogostemon Helferi and Rotala Macranda)  and I’m growing them out emersed style on Wabi Kusa.  Using that method they’re growing crazy fast. I’m considering submerging them to see what happens.

From what I read if they grow to the top the leaves change to start the transition to emerged if you sink them after that they shed the leaves…just read that 🤣

I've always just planted tissue cultures right into the tank. There's an initial stunted period, but then they quickly get going.

My AR hate to be moved and I've found that just toping them and picking off ugly leaves is the best way to manage them. If you top them, and just replant the tops, they get real mad at you. So pick a good spot!

• Like 2

I’ve had pretty decent luck with most tissue cultures depending on the plant.  Well, crypts and swords, yes, stem plants, not really, but I suck at stem plants in general, so . . . . .

I gently rinse away the gel using running tap water, fingers, and tweezers as necessary to remove as much gel as I can without obviously damaging roots.  You could also use a very small, stiff, craft paintbrush.

Then ideally plant them where you intend them to stay.  If you need to grow them up a bit before they go in their final spot, then plant them in a substrate that will be easy to remove them from when ready to do the final planting.

Some tissue cultures I get nearly 100% growth, some 50% at best, some very poor survival.  On average, around 60-75% if we don’t count the stem plants or those obviously damaged in transit.

• Thanks 1

My experience with tissue cultures has been very positive, including AR mini. I just squish out and rinse the culture gel while splitting it into small plugs- aiming to leave roots intact as much as possible. Aquascaping tweezers have been especially helpful for me when planting. They may be small but mine have always come with well developed roots and that goes a long way. I'm sure they do go through a conversion process but I've hardly ever noticed melting. For some plant species, I think they're the best thing since sliced bread.

• Thanks 2

What kind of setup do you have? High light and CO2? To keep the beautiful deep red in that AR tissue culture you will definitely want at least some CO2, and high light with good ferts will work great. Mimicking the parameters the culture was grown in is the best way to have success converting it, so high CO2, light, and ferts are the best way. It grew with high CO2 from the air, lots of light because there’s no water obstructing the light, and the gel is an excellent fertilizer! Stability is key in plants just like in fish, so as long as you can get it close to these I think it’ll do well!

• Thanks 1

On 10/1/2021 at 2:54 AM, WestFishTanks said:

What kind of setup do you have? High light and CO2? To keep the beautiful deep red in that AR tissue culture you will definitely want at least some CO2, and high light with good ferts will work great. Mimicking the parameters the culture was grown in is the best way to have success converting it, so high CO2, light, and ferts are the best way. It grew with high CO2 from the air, lots of light because there’s no water obstructing the light, and the gel is an excellent fertilizer! Stability is key in plants just like in fish, so as long as you can get it close to these I think it’ll do well!

I am no tech 5 bare bottom 2 less than an inch of gravel. I have great luck with most plants but I tie suspend with suction cups or glue my plants (I even glue swords sprite anacharis and wisteria)  I utilize suction cups to move plants closer to my hygger plant lights. I have recently been using the siesta method to increase available CO2 with great success. My narrow leaf ludwiga has started turning fabulous red doing this so I bought this plant. I also bought scarlet temple and ludwiga super red  a week or two ago that are doing great.   I do not use fertilizer…I’m just starting to consider 

258BA181-3224-42A6-A3C0-BF8C150DDD12.jpeg

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

On 10/1/2021 at 4:15 AM, Guppysnail said:

I am no tech 5 bare bottom 2 less than an inch of gravel. I have great luck with most plants but I tie suspend with suction cups or glue my plants (I even glue swords sprite anacharis and wisteria)  I utilize suction cups to move plants closer to my hygger plant lights. I have recently been using the siesta method to increase available CO2 with great success. My narrow leaf ludwiga has started turning fabulous red doing this so I bought this plant. I also bought scarlet temple and ludwiga super red  a week or two ago that are doing great.   I do not use fertilizer…I’m just starting to consider 

258BA181-3224-42A6-A3C0-BF8C150DDD12.jpeg

Wow that’s impressive! The suction cups for stems is a great idea, usually I just float mine but it doesn’t look great until the aerial roots grow and I plant them. I’ve found Ludwigia to get great red color on the top leaves closest to the light too, but my AR didn’t enjoy a low energy tank I had. How is the culture doing so far now that it’s been a few days? With the right balance I’m sure you’re pulling it off, you seem to have a gift for plants! ;)

On 10/1/2021 at 10:07 AM, WestFishTanks said:

Wow that’s impressive! The suction cups for stems is a great idea, usually I just float mine but it doesn’t look great until the aerial roots grow and I plant them. I’ve found Ludwigia to get great red color on the top leaves closest to the light too, but my AR didn’t enjoy a low energy tank I had. How is the culture doing so far now that it’s been a few days? With the right balance I’m sure you’re pulling it off, you seem to have a gift for plants! 😉

I have not gotten it yet. I use the suction cups with a hole for a zip tie. That way as they grow I can move them down or tie to a piece of wood. 53AE062A-3785-45F1-994D-A66558488192.jpeg.e9c5e81ba6c91803a435b8a8a4624e3c.jpeg354D6E57-2321-4130-A553-C361071158A0.jpeg.3ad14ce7c77319f3e13019e335473895.jpeg

• Love 2

On 10/1/2021 at 8:41 AM, Guppysnail said:

I have not gotten it yet. I use the suction cups with a hole for a zip tie. That way as they grow I can move them down or tie to a piece of wood. 53AE062A-3785-45F1-994D-A66558488192.jpeg.e9c5e81ba6c91803a435b8a8a4624e3c.jpeg354D6E57-2321-4130-A553-C361071158A0.jpeg.3ad14ce7c77319f3e13019e335473895.jpeg

I’m totally stealing that haha! Awesome trick for the stems, and the tank looks great while converting them too! Do you trim and replant much? Might help to make those stems in the back grow more condensed so you have more leaves per stem 

Tissue culture plants transition easily to submerged and emersed growth (though in emersed growth they are a bit delicate and cannot take low humidity right away). Just rinse off the roots and plant them in the substrate, they'll do well

On 9/29/2021 at 6:15 PM, Patrick_G said:

I'm interested in seeing the results of this if you have pictures! Pogostemon Helferi and Rotala Macrandra are considered on the difficult side growing submerged, but they are beautiful plants, I'm curious to see how they look in your setup.

On 10/1/2021 at 11:19 AM, carefulest said:

I'm interested in seeing the results of this if you have pictures! Pogostemon Helferi and Rotala Macrandra are considered on the difficult side growing submerged, but they are beautiful plants, I'm curious to see how they look in your setup.

The Pogo looked good for a while but it’s getting leggy. The Rotala is looking pretty good. Both are stupidly easy to grow in air! 

02818612-268C-4A61-B9A2-41C3707ACB97.jpeg

C44CDBAB-76B0-4377-8D09-34C4D6E73BFB.jpeg

5429F234-C8EA-4D70-B0D3-6BB13B1B9E59.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I bought the same from probably the same vendor. I just rinsed off the gel, separated them and planted them in a 10 gal with eco complete under a cheap AquaNeat light. They’ve done amazingly well except for a little K deficiency but I tweaked my ferts regimen and they’re back to looking great. I’ve had really good results with all my TC plants except one batch of Dwarf hairgrass from a petco but it was starting to look a little rough when I got the cup. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/1/2021 at 1:04 PM, WestFishTanks said:

I’m totally stealing that haha! Awesome trick for the stems, and the tank looks great while converting them too! Do you trim and replant much? Might help to make those stems in the back grow more condensed so you have more leaves per stem 

Awesome tip thanks. All the stems are new in that tank except center ludwiga and pennywort.  I usually just cut stems in half after they are converted and tall enough so I have 2 stems 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 I never actually plant anything. Just move the suction cup to where it’s hidden. What’s in back is pothos roots.   In person you can see the glass bottom. It’s less than an inch of gravel. More like 1 layer. Most of my tanks are bare bottom. I hate substrate but my corydora love it so it’s a compromise.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2021 at 12:53 PM, Guppysnail said:

Awesome tip thanks. All the stems are new in that tank except center ludwiga and pennywort.  I usually just cut stems in half after they are converted and tall enough so I have 2 stems 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 I never actually plant anything. Just move the suction cup to where it’s hidden. What’s in back is pothos roots.   In person you can see the glass bottom. It’s less than an inch of gravel. More like 1 layer. Most of my tanks are bare bottom. I hate substrate but my corydora love it so it’s a compromise.

Of course! I usually plant my stems so they can get a bit of nutrients from the roots, but they do get most of their food from the water column. That’s a cool idea for stems in a bare bottom especially! Plus you can move them around easily, would be fun for a breeding tank too if you also want non-epiphyte plants. Hey that’s pretty much how you propagate stems anyway! Especially if they get the aerial roots, then you can trim just below those and get a new other plant. Usually 2 new stems grow up through the trimmed area, so that’s why it helps with getting rid of the bare stems that can happen with no pruning. I agree with the compromise! I’m a sucker for eco complete because it brings out fish color well, keep it up can’t wait to see an update!

• Like 1

On 10/1/2021 at 1:37 PM, JoshStover said:

I’ve had really good results with all my TC plants except one batch of Dwarf hairgrass from a petco but it was starting to look a little rough when I got the cup. 

I think I got the same dwarf hairgrass, and I thought it didn't take.

My old boy betta passed, so I decided to break down that tank.... but had a delay and the tank sat with 3" of water, zero ferts, zero filtration or water movement....

And discovered once I was able to tackle the tank the hair grass had taken off....

I put one clump of 2 whole blades in my low light Walstad, and after 2 weeks **it's ** propagating like crazy.

I think dwarf hairgrass is happiest in thick mulm/dirted tanks.

• Like 2

On 10/1/2021 at 10:07 AM, WestFishTanks said:

How is the culture doing so far now that it’s been a few days?

I just put them in the tanks. I did pics for all last entry in my journal link in my signature.  Also I never cut those long stems. They started sprouting new plants out of the sides 🤩

Edited by Guppysnail