Aquarium wood making

Daviscoast

Blast them with the hose until any loose material is gone.  Use a pressure washer if you can (as long as there’s no soap in it).  Soak them for weeks to months until they sink.  This also lets the wood age a bit and go through the worst of that aging process NOT in your tank.  If already we’ll aged, you can attach rocks (lots of people use slate slabs) to keep them sunken and in the position you want.  Take a quick peak at my 14 gallon cube topic, link is in my signature.  I wouldn’t want to use wood that hadn’t soaked for at least a couple weeks.

Oh, if collected from a saltwater beach, make sure to soak it well and change out the water at least weekly for several weeks or daily for a full week, then weekly for a few weeks.

• Like 1

On 9/28/2021 at 5:09 PM, Daviscoast said:

How do you make driftwood for your aquarium using peices you find in nature?

I used to use a stock tank.

Now, I fill up a kiddy pool, use a tank only scrub brush, and scrub the wood in the kiddy pool and change the water every few days.

The final week, I pour some beneficial bacteria on the wood, and get the bloom taken care of. 

That's for the big pieces.

For little pieces, I have a giant soup pot dedicated to boiling wood. I add salt to the first 2 boils, and then I use regular water for the next 3 - 4 boils (I keep boiling until the wood smell is gone).

I actually have some pieces of wood in my T4 tank (spouse's tank) that have not sunk after 7 months: 2 months in the kiddy pool, and 5 months in the tank.

That is not typical,  however. Normally the wood is waterlogged by now. So I have terrestrial mosses growing on the wood, and I am considering adding ferns.🤷‍♂️

On 9/29/2021 at 3:24 PM, Torrey said:

I used to use a stock tank.

Now, I fill up a kiddy pool, use a tank only scrub brush, and scrub the wood in the kiddy pool and change the water every few days.

The final week, I pour some beneficial bacteria on the wood, and get the bloom taken care of. 

That's for the big pieces.

For little pieces, I have a giant soup pot dedicated to boiling wood. I add salt to the first 2 boils, and then I use regular water for the next 3 - 4 boils (I keep boiling until the wood smell is gone).

I actually have some pieces of wood in my T4 tank (spouse's tank) that have not sunk after 7 months: 2 months in the kiddy pool, and 5 months in the tank.

That is not typical,  however. Normally the wood is waterlogged by now. So I have terrestrial mosses growing on the wood, and I am considering adding ferns.🤷‍♂️

if i was you i would add ferns. they look friken awesome

On 9/28/2021 at 11:26 PM, Daviscoast said:

if i was you i would add ferns. they look friken awesome

I have actually been considering this. Showed the spouse a video tour of a planted aquarium shop/ hotel in the UK, and planted the seed that ferns would be cool. Especially since we can't fully fill that tank.

Now, I just need the idea to germinate.