Donating Fish to Cancer Center Aquarium

Fish Folk

It’s been one of the greatest honors in my hobby to help set up tanks for others. This is especially the case with our local Hospital Cancer Center. They’ve got a 120 gallon aquarium in their waiting room.

307E2C08-D238-473A-8D5E-049A47B9A085.jpeg.b9cc0ce6bd20acda59111867375f49a7.jpeg

I was able to donate all plants from our home tanks, and partner with an LFS to donate fish.

Today, I’m catching 12x young Electric Blue Acaras to add. It’s hilarious how hard they are to catch. There’s 200+ in this Growout tank, but they’re very evasive…

5C7FE53B-E8FD-4B45-965E-BA17610BF725.jpeg.943a62aebf929ea6cd2ecfb709189944.jpeg

Eventually I caught 12x, and set them in a net breeder until bagging + delivery time…

6CEDEBF9-79CF-4A65-8BBB-ACD28ADF73DB.jpeg.f2f578f23fec23b9fcf8ddcf9cf71b0e.jpeg

I’ll be updating this post over the next three hours with more details.

My Mom was a cancer survivor, though she passed away a few weeks back. I know the battle with cancer is very hard, and want to express my heartfelt care for anyone in the fight.

• Like 14
  • Sad 1
  • Love 3

@Fish Folk I’m so very sorry for your loss.  I’d like to be able to tell you the pain goes away, but it really doesn’t.  It does gradually get a bit less intense.  What did eventually happen for me, is that I’m more to focus on good memories, even though they still sometimes make me cry.  If you need or want to talk, reach out.

What a beautiful thing you’re doing!  The tank looks fantastic!  I’m so happy to see you doing this for others!  It will help bring a measure of peace into their lives and serve as a welcome distraction from worry.  Keep up the good work and thank you for caring enough to try to make other’s lives a little bit better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/28/2021 at 8:00 AM, Fish Folk said:

My Mom was a cancer survivor, though she passed away a few weeks back. I know the battle with cancer is very hard, and want to express my heartfelt care for anyone in the fight.

Thank you. 

Cancer is no longer the taboo it was when my mom died almost 40 years ago, however it is still very isolating. 

I am so sorry for the loss of your mom, and what a beautiful way to honor her life.

May her memory always bring you joy.

• Thanks 1

My mother and my Sister have cancer.  

Last Thursday I went in for some  "TESTS".  I will get the results in a couple weeks. Until then its a waiting game with nothing but constant dread and stress.  My fish and my Family (you all included) keep me in decent spirits!

Thank you @Fish Folk for everything you are doing to help others.  

God Bless you and your Family....which is blessing everybody here because we are all family!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

On 9/28/2021 at 7:56 PM, Odd Duck said:

@Fish Folk I’m so very sorry for your loss.  I’d like to be able to tell you the pain goes away, but it really doesn’t.  It does gradually get a bit less intense.  What did eventually happen for me, is that I’m more to focus on good memories, even though they still sometimes make me cry.

I recently heard something like, "Eventually, their memory will bring a smile to your mouth before it brings a tear to your eye." I've gotten there with some losses, but not yet with others. 

It just seemed worth mentioning. I guess nobody has perfect words on the topic. 😞 

• Thanks 2