Moving plants in a tank

Jeff

Crypts grow big roots. So when you pull it up just beware that you will be making some mess. If I were you I would take this an oppurtunity to do some matnience. Do a big waterchange, move the crypt, scrub the glass, etc. 

When I moved my crypt I pulled it up, then moved it to where I wanted it. After I drained the tank down 50% and refilled it. 

• Like 1

Exactly what @James Black said.  There’s likely a lot more roots under there than you expect.  I’ve moved Crypts wendtii several times and when they’re happy enough to outgrow their spot in the front of a 10 gallon, they’re going to feel like they have about a mile of roots as you’re pulling it out.  Go slow, be patient, jiggle it a bit, poke you’re finger around the longest ones to loosen things, understand some will break, and be prepared to replant some surrounding plants.

Edited by Odd Duck
  • Like 1

On 9/27/2021 at 3:57 PM, Jeff said:

I have a Crypt Wendtii that's in the foreground of my 10g tank. I didn't think it would get as big as it has. 
I want to move it to the background. 

Any tips / advice? Or is it as easy as pulling it out? 

This is where the idea for easy planters probably evolved😅

Diana Walstad gave a talk to the NC / Raleigh Planted Tank club *pre pandemic* and said she had started planting crypts and other massive root plants in containers (if I remember correctly, she uses pyrex food containers, my brother-in-law has me hooked on recycling food containers as dirted plant containers) so if a plant outgrows it's area it is easier to move.

Just throwing that out as an idea, because depending on how long the crypt has been in your tank, and whether or not you used sufficient root tabs to keep the roots close to the plant, you may discover roots fill your entire substrate 😳

• Like 1