Doubts of a Rookie.

JerseyBundy

Looking good. The gravel will help transfer some bacteria for the cycle. Do you have any filter media from the 10 you can add? Also, are you feeding the tank anything to produce ammonia?

I keep those cheap, plastic pot scrubbies or pieces of sponge in my tanks/filters, and then when I need to start a new tank, I plop em in for an instant cycle. I also add snails, since I figure they'll add some bio load to help get things going. 

• Thanks 2

This advice sounds good. My addition would just be more plants more plants! And once they start growing, you'll know that they are doing their part with the nitrogen in the tank.

For your consideration for next steps: maybe looking for a way to lengthen the input and output tubes of your filter so they get all the way down near the bottom. And a background (I used corrugated plastic for my latest...lightweight, easily taped and water proof)

Good luck, keep us posted

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

What up fellas.. hope everyone is well.  Just a quick update.  Added more plants. Still have a few crypts wendti and a couple of scarlet temples to add but their still in QT. Add some red to all that green. I put a few otos in their to get control of the algae.  And because I noticed one gained weight.  So I wanted to make sure she wasn't around the Serpae tetras when she laid the eggs. Like2 weeks go by and I thought I had a bunch of worms on my glass. Took a closer look. And its oto fry. Counted like 23 so far. Temps at 76 , PH is 7.4 , nitrates at 3ppm ,nitrites are at .5 ppm. Doing water changes 3 to 4 times a day ,about 15% percent each time . To keep the nitrates and nitrites low. Scary to do water changes with the fry in there.  Gotta watch that I don't suck any up. But so far , its been ok. Still waiting on my background. 

20200725_142952.jpg

20200722_162550.jpg

20200731_194013.jpg

Edited by JerseyBundy
  • Like 4

• 5 weeks later...

Thank you..Yea I've been doing some window shopping and I don't know which ones to choose.  Their all cool looking  lol

1 hour ago, akconklin said:

It's looking great! And those babies are soooo tiny, but growing! Good luck guppy shopping...I hope your self-control is strong. It's hard to know when to stop hitting the "add to cart" button with guppies! 🙂

Edited by JerseyBundy