Just a Minute of Sunlight…

Fish Folk

I used to be opposed to any sunlight on my tanks. But I’m learning to embrace it in moderation. This 29 gal. U. S. Native tank gets a couple hours of filtered sunlight each morning. Rainbow Shiners, Redtail Goodeids, and Rainbow Darters all do well in the light and high flow + aeration.

Here’s one minute of sunlight on the tank…

• Like 9
  • Love 2

On 9/27/2021 at 10:15 AM, Fish Folk said:

Can you show your set up for this? Sounds very interesting. 

The ones you don’t see the window get hit late afternoon. As the sun progresses it hits each tank throughout the day. I use green killing machine clip on to hob ones intermittently also the 6 and 9 w internal ones as need and my two canisters are fluval with in-line uvc installed. I never have algae issues other than potential green water. I might have the worst algae known to man but I never see it all my critters eat it 🤣 please forgive the disaster I’m in the middle of weekly water change and maintenance 

1ECD2F5D-FE03-4253-A018-9A6F9F32EC72.jpeg

1C754433-9EF8-4E1C-8353-E58480DF7BC0.jpeg

D3BE138B-5AE2-48F2-81B7-F818E9B10B0A.jpeg

631D3237-093A-4C9A-8C96-D1AEDC7AAB74.jpeg

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I’m my area in south Florida many of the homes where built between 2004-2008 and are remarkably similar in style with a open floor plan so houses from 1200-3600sqft are very open with sun al over. The only bastion of darkness is the garage but you need one of the silver suits they use to go close to volcanos. My pint being there are my great tank here but people tend to learn that balance of real sunlight without knowimg. When you ask themthey are just great with plants. Or you get I can’t get anything to grow. Mostly because its in the faint picture window over looking the Gulf of Mexico. We all have homes over looking the ocean. 

• Like 1

On 9/27/2021 at 12:48 PM, Littlefish said:

It's been speculated that some domesticated fish that have diminished coloration in contrast to wild caught may be affected by lack of natural light.  I think it may have been Dean the fish breeder who said that, not sure.  

Yeah, I’ve definitely seen the differences between outdoor mini ponds vs inside aquariums. 

• Like 2

I have one tank that’s in a room with lots of windows and natural light. It gets a bit of green algae on the glass but a scraping every couple of weeks takes care of it. @Daniel’s ultra low tech Angel tank journal helped my stop worrying about it. One thing I learned from that is it’s ok to have some algae issues during the new tank phase. They tend to sort themselves out as the tank gets balanced.

Edited by Patrick_G
  • Like 3

On 9/27/2021 at 10:48 AM, Littlefish said:

It's been speculated that some domesticated fish that have diminished coloration in contrast to wild caught may be affected by lack of natural light.  I think it may have been Dean the fish breeder who said that, not sure.  

I brought endlers ( @Guppysnail I have confirmation from a local breeder that the 'feeder guppies' I bought almost 2 years ago are actually endlers, and not cross breeds) to our local fish club meeting yesterday, and everyone thought the bag of clear water & brightly colored males was the indoor pond, and the heavier tannin water was the outdoor patio pond....

Nope.

Just 20 minutes of direct light on our north facing porch every morning, mid - May through mid- September....

It makes an enormous difference in coloring, even though the indoor pond is in the turtle enclosure and gets UVA & UVB lights🤷‍♂️

• Like 3

On 9/27/2021 at 9:26 PM, Fish Folk said:

one minute of sunlight on the tank…

Amazing-looking tanks and fish, thanks for sharing!

I learned to love sunlight when I had to place my smallest tank right next to a west-facing window. It has crazy amount of guppies,  best-looking, pearling-in-sunshine plants and it's overall the best-doing tank I have. 

• Like 4