My Dwarf Endlers are very happy after Saturday Tank Maintenance :)

md363

So, I've had my Dwarf Endlers, three of them, for about 6 months now in a 10 gallon planted aquarium with a grouping of Java Ferns and a Sponge Filter, never-clog airstone and air-pump, as well as air line from the Co-Op.  I have heard that every 6 months you should clean your Sponge Filter.  On Saturday, I cleaned my Sponge Filter for the first time as per Cory's recommended method.  My fish seem very happy after the filter cleaning, even though it wasn't that dirty lol.  I also trimmed off three dead leaves from the original Java Ferns and replanted three of the off-shoots or new growth from the original plants into the front left and front right of the aquarium.  Just wanted to share this with you all and thank Cory and everyone at the Co-Op for all of the great YouTube content and for everything that they do for the hobby  🙂

9-25-21 Aquarium Photo.jpg

• Like 6

• Administrators

That's great to hear. Happy to know that you are enjoying the hobby!

A quick note on your Java Fern: They usually do better when the rhizome (the branch part of the plant) is above any substrate and attached to a rock or a piece of wood. These plants draw nutrients from the water column rather than from substrate. 

On 9/27/2021 at 1:40 PM, Zenzo said:

That's great to hear. Happy to know that you are enjoying the hobby!

A quick note on your Java Fern: They usually do better when the rhizome (the branch part of the plant) is above any substrate and attached to a rock or a piece of wood. These plants draw nutrients from the water column rather than from substrate. 

Thank you!!  🙂

I actually have heard that, from the Aquarium Co-Op's YouTube videos, I just didn't have any rocks or wood and I was also worried about not giving the fish enough room to swim if I attached my Java Ferns to rocks or wood, there's already an artificial rock cave in the middle of the aquarium.  Do you think two or three palm-sized or in general small sized rocks would be too much to put into my tank along with the existing rock cave?  Or even could I attach the Java Ferns to the rock cave possibly?

• Like 1

• Administrators
On 9/27/2021 at 5:33 PM, md363 said:

Thank you!!  🙂

I actually have heard that, from the Aquarium Co-Op's YouTube videos, I just didn't have any rocks or wood and I was also worried about not giving the fish enough room to swim if I attached my Java Ferns to rocks or wood, there's already an artificial rock cave in the middle of the aquarium.  Do you think two or three palm-sized or in general small sized rocks would be too much to put into my tank along with the existing rock cave?  Or even could I attach the Java Ferns to the rock cave possibly?

Adding some wood or rock should be fine. You could also attach it to the artificial decorations that you have. You can even use gel super glue. 

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/products/super-glue-gel?_pos=1&_psq=glue&_ss=e&_v=1.0

• Administrators
On 9/27/2021 at 7:01 PM, md363 said:

@Zenzo  thanks very much for the help and advice!  Next order from Aquarium Co-Op I'll buy some of the gel super glue  🙂

You're welcome. Also, if you already have a gel super glue at home, that will work. I was just showing you the link to let you know that it is plant-safe (and fish too when dry).