What the heck is up with this endler?

laritheloud

So this one endler isn’t looking too good. He’s sluggish and hanging around the top with his mouth wide open (????). No signs of fungus or bacteria, parameters of the tank are ph 8.0, amm 0, nitrite 0, nitrate maybe 5. It’s super stable and full of shrimp. Temp is set to 78. The endlers have been through general cure and levamisole (complete several rounds) and no changes have been made to the tank in months.

I have no idea what this could possibly be. I also don’t know how old the fish was when we got him so there’s that!

62CC9EC3-79CC-4C1F-A8BB-A9CA9C2A7D94.png

6B6D6D2A-C119-4440-AB62-30B4448CD25B.png

BE91337C-69F4-4C52-8D9B-CBCD850F3D47.png

• Sad 1

@Colu Today is fasting day so I'm actually not sure if he's eating. I can start a course tomorrow for the entire tank... or would you recommend waiting-and-seeing/euthanizing? There's 13 endlers in the tank, all male, and the others are behaving normally.

EDIT: His gills appear fine and the weirdest thing is that his mouth looks 'stuck' open? It's not gasping. It's literally just sitting open.

Edited by laritheloud

On 9/27/2021 at 9:40 AM, Colu said:

The growth from his mouth stopping him from eating  I think is chances of recovery are silm at this point I think you have to consider euthanizeing him clove oil is the most humane way

That's what I'm thinking, too. I wish there were better answers for this. I googled lockjaw in guppies and found a lot of discussion about it happening to their fish, but most of the time, it either resolved itself on its own or it didn't and the fish died quickly.

Thanks for your help. I'll make sure he goes peacefully.

• Sad 1

On 9/27/2021 at 10:01 AM, JoshStover said:

I got a batch of endlers several years back and I had this issue but only with the males. Their mouths opened and never shut. Couldn’t eat so they ended up in the turtle tank. It came out of nowhere and seems very similar to what you’re dealing with. 

I'm seeing that it's an issue that can happen sometimes with guppies, and no one seems to know where it comes from or if there's any treatment. Most seem to agree that there isn't one, and it will fix itself quickly or it won't and they'll inevitably die. I figure since Endlers are kind of the same species, it's the same deal. I'm looking at the remaining endlers closely and they look fine for now. I'd always planned to keep this a bachelor endler tank with invertebrates and let them live out their lives happily for as long as that'll be, and once they're gone I'd try something else.

Thanks for your insight!

• Like 1

Sometimes they don’t live long and others up to 2-3 years. I have seen this in my older guppies. I normally remove them and I have stoped treated unless there is something that has been different. If after a few days it appear worse I wil humanely euthanized even thought I hate to do it and don’t do it often.

Beat wishes

Edited by Brandon p
  • Sad 1

On 9/27/2021 at 6:22 PM, Brandon p said:

Sometimes they don’t live long and others up to 2-3 years. I have seen this in my older guppies. I normally remove them and I have stoped treated unless there is something that has been different. If after a few days it appear worse I wil humanely euthanized even thought I hate to do it and don’t do it often.

Beat wishes

Thank you for letting me know. I decided to euthanize the fish, since he was not showing any signs of improvement and I did not want him to slowly starve or suffocate to death. I'm feeling awful about it but my understanding is there's no real treatment for this. It's definitely possible he was already older when I got him. I'll be prepared the next time I see this and separate them.

Edited by laritheloud
  • Sad 1