Snail ID and care?

Atitagain

I just call them pest snails maybe their pond snails? I know there are 3 different types in the photos, I know mystery snails what are the other two? One of them get about 1/4” big on average but the pic with my finger for reference is the biggest one I’ve ever seen. The other type I’ve never seen get bigger than 1/8” . I breed them for my pea puffers and figured I should find out more about them, starting with what they actually are.

im also wanting more mystery snails I’ve hatched a couple clutches before and really enjoy it. I’ve never added calcium to the water before because my water is so hard (I’ll need to get a test kit for this) but I’m sure I need to since this is a snail grow out tank 20G (10) mystery (100+) pest snails. I feed the tank veggies, waffers, pellets, flake, vibra bites, and crab cuisine. Any tips on raising snails?DE901BB8-D512-487D-B800-F2D4365DBD6E.jpeg.13706c7bfc5fb1b3785d4164897d3dd2.jpeg194EE50F-D083-434B-ACCF-B830F9702980.jpeg.ac58e72fd54fba085b031076cb799deb.jpegBFAFA0EB-73B5-4823-BC19-728CFECD021A.jpeg.63cd36702b730e8b7ca009a0d68b3e15.jpegE82B4F65-910A-4864-A748-C7EEE13AEBCD.jpeg.093ee2f9aab32c1817d61693ca55b3f7.jpeg5B17D28E-2FCE-45A1-BC2C-7CBB08BAE023.jpeg.2f41015af1943f2214b88dff08d78eab.jpeg

Yep those are pond/ bladder snails! I raise snails by setting up a 10g with a sponge filter and heater. Then feed algae wafers and occasionally some left over veggies. Whenever I have some clippings I dont need or a leave is floating in a different tank, I throw it with the snails. My water is softer than 'normal' so I add wonder shell when I do a water change (4 ish times a year bc they're snails lol). They produce a lot of fecal matter and the plants help with that, but I found that keeping the 10g a bare bottom, it is very easy to just suck it up without having to gravel vac. 

I should note, bladder snails like a bit cooler water. Whatever you're doing seems perfect. the above post was mainly about rams horn snails. Practically the same care except warmer water for rams. 

• Like 1

On 9/26/2021 at 3:04 PM, Keeg said:

Yep those are pond/ bladder snails! I raise snails by setting up a 10g with a sponge filter and heater. Then feed algae wafers and occasionally some left over veggies. Whenever I have some clippings I dont need or a leave is floating in a different tank, I throw it with the snails. My water is softer than 'normal' so I add wonder shell when I do a water change (4 ish times a year bc they're snails lol). They produce a lot of fecal matter and the plants help with that, but I found that keeping the 10g a bare bottom, it is very easy to just suck it up without having to gravel vac. 

I should note, bladder snails like a bit cooler water. Whatever you're doing seems perfect. the above post was mainly about rams horn snails. Practically the same care except warmer water for rams. 

Thanks,  what about the mystery snails do their shells look a little thin? Maybe I’m over thinking it. Just wantin to grow out some big butes and breed them. 

On 9/26/2021 at 12:19 PM, H.K.Luterman said:

Bladder snails have thread-like feelers, and pond snails have triangular feelers. Here's a helpful image!

Difference-between-Bladder-snail-and-Pond-snail-.jpg.bdcbcbbda275537afd8b45c141ab59a5.jpg

HA! I always thought they were the same things! I guess @Atitagain you got bladder snails. 

On 9/26/2021 at 12:16 PM, Atitagain said:

Thanks,  what about the mystery snails do their shells look a little thin? Maybe I’m over thinking it. Just wantin to grow out some big butes and breed them. 

If you're worried, try adding some wonder shells to the tank. Life saver for me at home!

• Like 1

The one you have your finger pointing to on the first picture appears to be a pond snail as the spire is dextral (points to the right when looking down on it) the others are bladder snails with sinistral spire (spire points to left and also shorter) you can also tell from foot shape as pond are more rounded bladder sort of point in an elongated manner behind the shell. The first one also appears to have antenna “tucked” which pond snails do whereas bladder snails rarely tuck the much thinner antenna. Hope that helps you appear to have both 😁. Add api liquid calcium a few drops to your snails repashy. They need to consume it as well as have it in the water. Occasionally you could blanch the stalk of broccoli (the floret makes a mess ask me I know 🤦‍♀️) as it is very high in calcium. 

• Like 1

On 9/26/2021 at 5:26 PM, Guppysnail said:

Add api liquid calcium a few drops to your snails repashy. They need to consume it as well as have it in the water

Thank you for the info. The api liquid calcium that I can find says it’s marine for reef growth is this the one your talking about?