Ideas for plants for a river themed scape?

Ember

Hello!  I’ve had a 20 gallon high tank set up for a couple of months at this point and am still trying to figure out exactly how to finish planting it.  I’m going for a slow moving, calm river vibe.  I’m also planning on adding some leaf litter and making the water a little bit darker.  I’ve already got java ferns, anubius, and hornwort in the tank.  I’m planning on adding some moss to the piece of wood in the future.  However, it still doesn’t really look river like enough to me yet, and I’m thinking it’s probably due to the lack of plants.  I’m running a fluval planted light on the tank, no CO2 injections.  What do you guys think would help this scape look more complete plant-wise?

F4187CDA-217C-44F4-B82F-C28FC547D688.jpeg.498455a85ed57472df4cd2617644080d.jpeg

Edit: Any opinions on the Tiger Lotus bulb for this setup?  I love the plant, but worry that it wouldn’t work too well with this scape.

Edited by Ember
  • Like 1

No semi-fast output for my filter on this tank at all, I’ve got a sponge set up due to my betta.  Do Vals need gravel or something similar to grow?  I’ve got sand as a substrate in this tank.  
Vals are definitely a gorgeous plant though! 

I'm considering a river /riverside look, too, for one of my tanks. Here are my inspirations:

Plants I'm considering: Val nana, Echinodorus tenellus/Helanthium tenellum, Hairgrass (Eleocharis), Sagittaria subulata, Potamogeton gayi, and Juncus repens.