Clove oil

Brandon p

I have an angelfish that I walked up on and scared it. It hit the breeding slate very hard and immediately began to swim on its side. I removed to a quarantinethank that tank happy to have a mesh breeding box in. The fish found its way the and is now upright. But if he moves out of there he swims on its side. I was thinking the next step would be to vent some are. I have watched some YouTube videos, some were not good and there were a few by vets in Australia I check and he is a vet. My concern is the sedation me of course had vet grade. I have used clove oil to euthanize a fish but not sedate a fish. I’ve heard Cory talk about the emotional stress. Does anyone know how much clove oil to use. From nose to the start of the tail split it’s about 2.5”. 

On 9/23/2021 at 10:34 PM, Brandon p said:

I have an angelfish that I walked up on and scared it. It hit the breeding slate very hard and immediately began to swim on its side. I removed to a quarantinethank that tank happy to have a mesh breeding box in. The fish found its way the and is now upright. But if he moves out of there he swims on its side. I was thinking the next step would be to vent some are. I have watched some YouTube videos, some were not good and there were a few by vets in Australia I check and he is a vet. My concern is the sedation me of course had vet grade. I have used clove oil to euthanize a fish but not sedate a fish. I’ve heard Cory talk about the emotional stress. Does anyone know how much clove oil to use. From nose to the start of the tail split it’s about 2.5”. 

Have you performed that specific surgery before?

The YouTube video makes it look fairly easy.... it's a little tricky.

If you have performed it before, ignore my recommendation. 

If you have not, I would try to find an exotic pet vet that specializes in fish, who you could pay to perform the surgery, and ask if you can please watch because veterinary sciences fascinate you.

If you can't find a local vet, I would try contacting a vet school, and ask if they could Zoom you through it if you sign a paper releasing them of all responsibility. 

They would explain how to properly dose the clove oil that way, as well. 

It's critical to have 2 "hospital rooms" in case the fish has an adverse reaction and needs to be resuscitated rapidly. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have looked for a local vet, but there is a Vocational hight school that hearer yo vet techs, I think I will call the professor and see if he can advise me or send me to someone who definitely can do it or is willing to help. There are some really bad ones on YouTube I watched a lot in there was a few vets and they made it seem so easy but the people who weren’t trained it seems like tortured for fish  thank you for your advice. The funny thing is is it wedged in between the tank and the breeding box but he’ll leave the spot he can move out of there that’s just where he chooses to be because he’s bounced there. He was a breeder and I walked over to check and I scared him and he knocked over the slate and kind of freaked out and immediately afterwards he had damage to the swim bladde. thank you

On 9/24/2021 at 1:36 AM, Odd Duck said:

It’s not clear to me why you need to sedate the fish?

He is very lively. Since he damaged the swim bladder and I’d in sick he is super lively and I worry if in try to do the fish will move. He lives upright about 85% he wedgeshimself between a mesh breeder box and the side of the tank. I’ve will eat Decapsulated brine if in syringe of little in front of him.

I don’t know that it’s not a brain injury. It’s been a bout a month. If I knew for sure it was a brain injury I would have to make a hard decision. Ones is how he swims and the others is were he is to keep upright. He asking has a bloated are where the swim bladder. I have tried to research angelfish anatomy. I have watched some YouTube videos on it which was little help. I only found one vet from Australia that was not an amateur. He was a beautiful lace angelfish and his fins are starting to break off. I don’t want him to suffer.

2B96EF87-DCA8-49DC-BEF3-6B7AE7B815D2.jpeg

D6CEC120-9998-4E92-8C7F-A2225C33B19C.jpeg

On 9/24/2021 at 10:25 AM, Colu said:

If it is swim bladder damage and it's showed no signs of improvement after a month it's more than likely permanent damage  have you try epsom salt baths can help with as it acts as a muscle relaxants 

Thank you. I think I will try that. I do feel that it is permanent. @Colu do you have a an idea of how much epson salt to water

Please try the Epsom salt bath before trying to aspirate the swim bladder.  If you do see some improvement from the Epsom salt bath it will at least confirm it is likely swim bladder issues.  Have you tried any higher fiber foods like daphnia?  That can sometimes help unblock a swim bladder since it is connected to the GI tract.

• Like 1

@ColuI don’t know that it’s not a brain injury. It’s been a bout a month. If I knew for sure it was a brain injury I would have to make a hard decision. Ones is how he swims and the others is were he is to keep upright. He asking has a bloated are where the swim bladder. I have tried to research angelfish anatomy. I have watched some YouTube videos on it which was little help. I only found one vet from Australia that was not an amateur. He was a beautiful lace angelfish and his fins are starting to break off. I don’t want him to suffer.

@Odd Ducki wiil