Breeding Ideas

FrozenFins

I have a 10 gallon aquarium that is currently being used to house my guppy trio, as well as to serve as a grow out tank for my small angelfish named penny. Within the next few weeks I plan to move  Penny into the community tank, as well as the rummynose tetra that are growing out in Hugos tank,

Once all these moves have been completed I want to make a fish order. Consisting of some pumpkin shrimp for the shrimp bowl, and my next breeding project fish.

However I cant seem to decide what I should breed next. Keep in mind all these options should be fine for a 10 gallon aquarium.

I was thinking one of the following...

• Platys - I love platys, but have never kept any
  • Pair of apistogramma or kribensis
  • Orange Venezualin Corydora - there are some really pretty ones on aquahuna right now.
  • open to any other suggestions

I am fairly new to breeding, so I would like a easy to breed fish.

On 9/23/2021 at 10:37 AM, James Black said:

However I cant seem to decide what I should breed next. Keep in mind all these options should be fine for a 10 gallon aquarium.

Are you talking about breeding in terms of spawning or breeding in terms of spawning, birthing/hatching and rearing? 10 gallons is going to be tight for high volume egg layers unless you have grow out tanks for fry. 

• Like 1

Platy are very easy to breed good for a beginner, but you will definitely need to watch for them to drop the fry and remove as soon as possible. Especially in a 10G. If your looking for parents and babies to stay together platy is not good for 10G.CC7C72E8-DA84-400F-B1B5-08C7A21066F9.jpeg.50ae152946f752453a978e15a7d641f6.jpeg

these are Mickey Mouse verity a sunshine and a blue. Lots of different sub species and colors to choose from.

• Like 1

I used to breed cpd in a 10 but I moved the parents after each spawn to a community to grow out the fry in the 10 then moved parents back to do it over. I also placed a cup of Java moss in the tank I put the parents in at the end and just moved moss cup into the 10 to hatch and grow. That was considerably easier for me. They sell for a decent price. 

• Like 1

Platies might actually be too easy if you are looking for a challenge. If you are hoping to sell or trade the babies, platies would likely bring the least dollar value of the species you mention. That said, they are super cute and there are many colors and patterns to choose from. I love mine and wish I had the tank space to play around with more colors of them.

• Like 1