Good next level plant?

Atitagain

What are some good next level plants for a beginner to try, and to learn from? I feel I’ve had decent success with low light/ easy plants. Vallisneria, Amazon swords, water sprite, pogostemon stellatus octopus, dwarf aquarium lilly, and a couple different Anubis. Mixed results with bacopa caroliniana.

Plants I’ve failed at Java fern is my nemesis, pennywort, scarlet temple, dwarf baby tears, Monte Carlo, and dwarf chain sword. A few of these I know I didn’t have good enough lighting. 
I have medium lighting at best, no CO2, not really interested in carpeting plants right now due to the lights and CO2 issues, and hard water. Will be going back to a couple of the fails already but just looking to move a little forward with plants. Not wanting to waste money on plants I have no business trying, they all look so beautiful. Maybe an easier red plant?

On 9/23/2021 at 7:22 AM, Guppysnail said:

Anacharis elodea dense is my all time favorite and hard to kill fast grower front pot

CA6C65AC-F539-4C89-AB50-494F63E0A9E4.jpeg

I like it a lot, if I can find some I would like to try this using your method of clipping against the glass. Would this be a good plant for that?

On 9/23/2021 at 7:29 AM, Nooby said:

@Atitagain try some crypts

Yes was definitely thinking crypts @Coryeven talks about using them for carpeting , any suggestions for that?

On 9/23/2021 at 7:55 AM, Lockhart said:

What was your issue ?, Java fern is so easy

🤣🤣🤣🤣that’s what everyone says, that’s why it’s my nemesis 😡😡😡 it’s always melted back and never recovered. Then the only time it ever did any kind of good for me I had a major outbreak of BBA and it seemed as tho it was the first and hardest plant hit with it. 🤷🏻

On 9/23/2021 at 8:03 AM, Lockhart said:

@Atitagainjust trim it easy peasy

Yea I always wanted it to grow longer so I would let it go then next thing it’s strung out all over the place. But I’ve learned I need to keep it trimmed and let it grow out slowly.

• Like 1

On 9/23/2021 at 8:55 AM, JoshStover said:

Crypts. I’ve been on a huge Crypt and Buce kick lately. I need them all!

Humm buce I just got a plant on my last ACO order green wavy. Then yesterday on here I seen someone talking about bucephalandra and went and looked it up without realizing the connection. I like them a lot .

• Like 2

On 9/23/2021 at 7:13 AM, Atitagain said:

What are some good next level plants for a beginner to try, and to learn from? I feel I’ve had decent success with low light/ easy plants. Vallisneria, Amazon swords, water sprite, pogostemon stellatus octopus, dwarf aquarium lilly, and a couple different Anubis. Mixed results with bacopa caroliniana.

Plants I’ve failed at Java fern is my nemesis, pennywort, scarlet temple, dwarf baby tears, Monte Carlo, and dwarf chain sword. A few of these I know I didn’t have good enough lighting. 
I have medium lighting at best, no CO2, not really interested in carpeting plants right now due to the lights and CO2 issues, and hard water. Will be going back to a couple of the fails already but just looking to move a little forward with plants. Not wanting to waste money on plants I have no business trying, they all look so beautiful. Maybe an easier red plant?

Vallisneria is my nemesis. I learnt that switching between the different colors are blue, red and white light helps lots! Started that more often has given me more Popping colors! 

BB6FE1D9-CE8D-40A4-88A2-1E74AE5B1479.jpeg

Edited by Stacy Z
  • Like 1

On 9/23/2021 at 9:54 AM, Ixrayu said:

I have different varieties of crypt in all my tanks, just an all round nice plant.

Thanks @Ixrayucrypy’s are definitely getting a try. It’s only a question of what type.

On 9/23/2021 at 10:08 AM, Stacy Z said:

Vallisneria is my nemesis. I learnt that switching between the different colors are blue, red and white light helps lots! Started that more often has given me more Popping colors! 

BB6FE1D9-CE8D-40A4-88A2-1E74AE5B1479.jpeg

Nice tank @Stacy Z love the aquarium Lilly’s I have a couple myself. The Lilly’s to me are so cool something you don’t see very often. I found with vallisneria; be patient and use root tabs 

• Like 1

On 9/23/2021 at 10:25 AM, Atitagain said:

Thanks @Ixrayucrypy’s are definitely getting a try. It’s only a question of what type.

Nice tank @Stacy Z love the aquarium Lilly’s I have a couple myself. The Lilly’s to me are so cool something you don’t see very often. I found with vallisneria; be patient and use root tabs

On 9/23/2021 at 10:25 AM, Atitagain said:

I still have the Vals in the backs of two tanks waiting. I added the tabs too. 

Edited by Stacy Z
  • Like 1

I have not been able to get Java fern to grow in any of my tanks as well, so don't feel bad. 

I say try out some crypts. There are so many varieties, probably the easiest is wendtii of which there are several colors, bronze, red, brown and even the pink flamingo is a wendtii, but I have problems with that one, although all the other colors of wendtii grow really good in my tanks. 

If you have patience and want to have a carpeting plant, crypt parva is good, but it takes forever to grow and fill in. 

• Like 1

On 9/23/2021 at 10:56 AM, Andy's Fish Den said:

I have not been able to get Java fern to grow in any of my tanks as well, so don't feel bad. 

I say try out some crypts. There are so many varieties, probably the easiest is wendtii of which there are several colors, bronze, red, brown and even the pink flamingo is a wendtii, but I have problems with that one, although all the other colors of wendtii grow really good in my tanks. 

If you have patience and want to have a carpeting plant, crypt parva is good, but it takes forever to grow and fill in. 

Omg right carpeting plants are so slow!!

On 9/23/2021 at 10:56 AM, Andy's Fish Den said:

Lol Java fern, so many people say just set it and forget it and it will grow. Low light, I say yea right; water column feeder, I say that doesn’t matter either!!!

crypts are a go for sure!

On 9/23/2021 at 11:24 AM, Stacy Z said:

Omg right carpeting plants are so slow!!

And because they sit so low I don’t have the lights that can get that deep. My 2 main planted tanks are 60G so their taller than lights in my price range reach.

On 9/23/2021 at 11:28 AM, Atitagain said:

Lol Java fern, so many people say just set it and forget it and it will grow. Low light, I say yea right; water column feeder, I say that doesn’t matter either!!!

crypts are a go for sure!

And because they sit so low I don’t have the lights that can get that deep. My 2 main planted tanks are 60G so their taller than lights in my price range reach.

I tie plants to tall wood so they are close to the light. It works on all mine

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 9/23/2021 at 11:41 AM, Patrick_G said:

Low light? Crypts for sure! You might also try some different species of Pogostemon. 
I know you have some deep tanks, but I’d try more difficult plants in a tank that’s  more shallow. Ludwigia  and Rotala and other tall stems are easy to grow but don’t seem to like dim light at their bases. 

👍I have 3 20G tall that are planted as well I could start growing these type out in there and when (more like if) I get better lights for my 60s I could transplant.

On 9/23/2021 at 11:43 AM, Patrick_G said:

My next family to try is the Aponogetons. They look really interesting. 

I just looked these up, I agree interesting.

• Like 1