PERMANENT CLOUDY WATER

Samuel Raga

Hello, I recently set up 3 tanks, one is a 40g breeder, another is a 10g and the other a 5g... they have been set up four about two months, and the five gal for about a month. I have had cloudy water ever since I set them up, no matter how long I wait or how many water changes I do, it wont go away, its literally so milky I cant see through it... I have another three 10 gallon tanks and they are good, but the cloudy tanks are the ones with fluval stratum, maybe something to do with the substrate? Stocking is not too crazy, in the 40 gal we have some neons, embers, one goldfish that is still a baby, couple of mollies, two gouramis, anyways pretty peaceful environment, and in the 10 gal I keep shrimp (roughly 7 or so, i cant even see them to count and I just started since im trying to get a colony...) and in the 5 gal one female betta, like I said, all cloudy, and it doesnt go away after weeks and weeks, I have a hob on the 40gal and sponge filters in the 10 and 5 gal... filters are not crazy strong so they dont disturb the substrate, I honestly dont know what to do anymore... I thought it was a cycling issue but they have been cycled and they are all planted.. thanks in advance

1 hour ago, TheDukeAnumber1 said:

What are you water parameters and do you dose fertilizers? I've seen bacterial blooms before that do this and you just have to wait it out but yours sounds rough. IMO best to test water and wait it out but a UV sterilizer may help.

Parameters are GH 30ppm (I already bought some wonder shells to put in the tanks since the water is really soft and I keep guppies in some tanks) KH 240ppm+ PH 8 - 8.2 nitrates and nitrites stay at 0 all the time... I had never had this problem for so long but it seems the only tanks that have the problem are the ones with fluval stratum... Anyone had this issue before?

1 minute ago, Ben Ellison said:

Have you put the water in a white cup or bowl and seen if its green color or not? I feel this simply a symptom of the tank being basically a new tank. I find anything under a 6 months is def subject to this happening. Wait it out like said before it will pass. 

It looks kinda green but Im not sure its green water since all 3 tanks have the same issue, and they have somewhat different photoperiods, on that 10g and the 40 I use nicrew leds, pretty strong and theyre on from 9 to 9, so 12 hours but again, I do the same on all my other tanks and the only ones that have this issue are the ones with fluval stratum

23 minutes ago, Samuel Raga said:

Parameters are GH 30ppm (I already bought some wonder shells to put in the tanks since the water is really soft and I keep guppies in some tanks) KH 240ppm+ PH 8 - 8.2 nitrates and nitrites stay at 0 all the time... I had never had this problem for so long but it seems the only tanks that have the problem are the ones with fluval stratum... Anyone had this issue before?

Your photo looks like a typical bloom but maybe on the heavy side. In eternity past I had this issue and recently my sisters tank had this issue. I believe it is cause by a bloom of bacteria or diatoms feeding off something in the substrate. In my cases it fully went away once the tanks were "fully mature" which took months.

A UV sterilizer might clear it up but time will ultimately be what solves the issue.

Just now, TheDukeAnumber1 said:

Your photo looks like a typical bloom but maybe on the heavy side. In eternity past I had this issue and recently my sisters tank had this issue. I believe it is cause by a bloom of bacteria or diatoms feeding off something in the substrate. In my cases it fully went away once the tanks were "fully mature" which took months.

A UV sterilizer might clear it up but time will ultimately be what solves the issue.

Could you tell me a little bit about the diatoms? Because in that shrimp tank I see a LOT of microorganisms like little worms and diatoms and stuff like that all over the place... I guess im just gonna let it settle itself but its crazy how long its been and it doesnt clear up, thanks for the reply!

I think you would be better served by google searching than by my very limited knowledge on diatoms. I know when it comes to micro organisms and small creatures in general there are so many species and varieties and interactions that nailing things down specifically can be impractical. GL though hope your tanks clear up soon!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TheDukeAnumber1 said:

I think you would be better served by google searching than by my very limited knowledge on diatoms. I know when it comes to micro organisms and small creatures in general there are so many species and varieties and interactions that nailing things down specifically can be impractical. GL though hope your tanks clear up soon!

Thanks a lot!!