Did my betta eat too many tadpoles and die?

Littlefish

We got the betta before my 2 yo was born.  He lived in a 75g, then a 3g bowl for 6 mo ~

In the bowl is a peacock gudgeon and a shrimp,  plus maybe 3 pond snails.  All are fine.

This betta has always gorged himself on blackworms and tadpoles in the 75g angel tank.  I've been feeding him tadpoles for a week or 2 in this bowl.  

Is it possible he got one stuck in his gills or simply ate too many?  He was fine when I put these wigglers in 3 hs ago.  No sign of disease, no pine-coning, etc.  Being everything else is fine and betta aren't usually sensitive makes me wonder if they can kill themselves eating?

Water gets changed 50% weekly, never out of balance.  Right now No3 is 25, No2 is 0.  KH is 3, the GH tab fell off the co-op test strip into the bowl.

The only thing I can't test is ammonia.  I haven't needed to in any reef or fw tank in years.  Would the betta be more sensitive to ammonia than the shrimp or gudgeon?  What do you think?

Thanks for the replies.  

Would the betta be more sensitive to ammonia than the shrimp or gudgeon?  They are fine this morning.  I would think he would be much tougher than them relative to ammonia.  

Really, I was curious if anyone had one die due to eating too large or too many of an object

My guess is old age. Bettas now a days are bred for color and fins, and less for longevity. Most don't make it past 2 years, in my experience, despite what the internet seems to claim. 

That said, if he did die from "choking" on something, you should be able to see the object stuck in his gills or mouth if you take a good look at the body. 

Regardless, it sounds like he had a great life with you, getting to chase down live foods. I'm sorry for your loss.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 9/23/2021 at 6:13 AM, Littlefish said:

Thanks for the replies.  

Would the betta be more sensitive to ammonia than the shrimp or gudgeon?  They are fine this morning.  I would think he would be much tougher than them relative to ammonia.  

Really, I was curious if anyone had one die due to eating too large or too many of an object

Yes, it’s possible they can eat something too big or gorge enough to make themselves sick.

Bettas would typically be considered less sensitive than most species, but any fish could suffer ammonia burn.

Edit to explain that any labyrinth fish would still be able to breath better than other species of fish due to their labyrinth still being functional vs ammonia burned gills.

Edited by Odd Duck