Cleaning fish keeping stuff.

BF McUmber

On 9/22/2021 at 4:33 PM, BF McUmber said:

When making stuff like repashy how do you clean your fish keeping stuff? Is there any worry about the soap or anything when washing it like dishes or in a dishwasher? 

I’ve never researched it and probably should find a safe soap but I never wash anything with any kind of detergent not even after making repashy. Hot water is all I use.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/22/2021 at 4:37 PM, Guppysnail said:

Just seen this. Dishwasher detergent does leave a toxic residue 

I'll bet that no spot stuff does too. I'm in the hot water then dry for days camp.

Edited by Ken
  • Thanks 1

On 9/22/2021 at 6:00 PM, Guppysnail said:

Hot water and @Dean’s Fishroom uses dawn and says it rinses clean and is safe. I believe him and have never had a problem. I don’t reuse bamboo sticks that I dip in the repashy though. 

Yes should of thought of that, dawn. And I have used dishwasher cleaned stuff before just don’t make a habit of it and will avoid when possible. Wife hates I make repashy with her measuring cups, one of the things I always forget to buy myself. Her birthday is coming up “hey baby here’s your present a measuring cup” 😵🥴

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Welp I guess we will see the hard way.  The molds for the repashy got put in the dishwasher. Nothing else did though so they can just be rinsed. 

I'll rinse them real good and scrub them to hedge my bets though.  Hopefully it will be fine.  

Afterwards I'll just be rinsing out of real good though.  

Thanks

• Like 1

I have a separate set of measuring spoons and cups that I use for making fish food such as repashy. I know they could be washed and be safe to use for the fish or for people, but its just that I make the repashy and stuff down in my basement fish room, don't want to have to make sure that everything gets brought back upstairs or whatever. I also have a pot that I use for boiling botanicals only, no foods. It been stained over the years of boiling leaves and such.

I run my Repashy molds through the dishwasher every time after using them.  I do rinse them again after taking them out, then shake them dry and finally air dry.  I also some wash aquarium stuff with Dawn (not absorbent stuff), just rinse them well.  And I don’t think twice about sticking my hands/arms in the tank as long as I’ve had a recent wash.  I do make certain that I have no soap residue under my ring (if I’m wearing it) before that hand goes in a tank.

I also use very hot tap water to wash or rinse some stuff.  My water heater temp is set higher than normal - don’t do this if you have children or anyone that won’t be careful enough about that hot water since it can burn them badly.  My water comes out of the tap hot enough to distort some plastics.

On 9/22/2021 at 7:19 PM, Struggle said:

We’re going to have to keep this a secret but I guess I’ve been lucky as I use my wife’s casserole dishes which is washed in the dishwasher to make repashy and haven’t had any issues yet. 

OOOOOOOhhhh Im tellinnnnn!!😂😈

On 9/22/2021 at 7:55 PM, Atitagain said:

Her birthday is coming up “hey baby here’s your present a measuring cup” 😵🥴

It was nice knowing you🤣

On 9/23/2021 at 12:08 PM, Andy's Fish Den said:

I have a separate set of measuring spoons and cups that I use for making fish food such as repashy

I do to...seperate measuring cups and spoons for the fish room but everything gets washed with dawn dish soap and rinsed really well...I figure if its good enough to get ducks clean from oil and not leave a residue on the duck then its good enough for me!

• Haha 1

On 9/22/2021 at 6:55 PM, Atitagain said:

Yes should of thought of that, dawn. And I have used dishwasher cleaned stuff before just don’t make a habit of it and will avoid when possible. Wife hates I make repashy with her measuring cups, one of the things I always forget to buy myself. Her birthday is coming up “hey baby here’s your present a measuring cup” 😵🥴

make sure to video her opening up this measuring cup on her birthday.😈

• Haha 2

On 9/24/2021 at 9:31 AM, ARMYVET said:

was nice knowing you🤣

On 9/24/2021 at 9:40 AM, lefty o said:

make sure to video her opening up this measuring cup on her birthday.😈

On 9/24/2021 at 9:42 AM, ARMYVET said:

That Would that be considered evidence in the murder trial

I live by the tried and true philosophy of “it’s the thought that counts “ and I would be doing her the favor of taking something else from her kitchen to use in my fish room.

y’all know what i better quit joking around about this. She is a lil cra cra and could be lurking 

“those were just jokes! Ahhh don’t you know jokes when you hear em?”

• Haha 1