Surface skimmer for tropical 75g tank?

Chris45

I have a film of tiny particles covering the surface of my tropical tank. They are so small they go straight through a net making them hard to get rid of even manually. I assume it's the remnants of flake food that doesn't sink for whatever reason, but still breaks up as it tumbles through the wash from the (canister) filter outlet. It looks almost like two layers of film moving over each other. Strange.

I'm wondering if a surface skimmer would be a good idea. I don't need a filter/skimmer combo as I already have the canister and a sponge filter connected to an air line.

Would one of these be ok?

LINK 1

LINK 2

I use an Odyssea Clean 100 Surface Skimmer to vacuum up excessive duckweed and it works fine. The mounting clamp is a bit weird, but the skimmer works fine for me. I just use a piece of quilt batting as the filter material. They can take a bit of tuning to get them working just right, but the Odyssea works for me. (I did enlarge the openings on the skimmer cup to make them wide enough for duckweed though.)

• Like 1

I accidentally came to find that a turkey baster actually does a GREAT job of sucking patches of stuff like that up.  I was having difficulties getting my tetras to eat early on since they were column feeders and wouldn't come to the surface for food, so I started using the baster to put food mid-column, but in doing so, I found it did a better job doing the opposite: sucking up scum or leftovers that were sitting on the surface of the water.

• Like 1
  • Love 1