DIY programmable backlight recommendations

Twigflinger

Looking for a DIY backlight solution.  I really like the look of the Current USA Serene lighting kit but don’t want the overhead light.  Specifically looking for something to use as a backlight that is programmable.  I was thinking led light strip with a remote/controller.  Is there anything out there like that?  It would need to have a timer built in.  The end goal is to having lighting that simulates sunrise to sunset colors.  So maybe a warm orange in morning that brightens over time, white light mid day and fading to red In evening.  It looks like the serene overhead light does that but the backlight can only do static colors and color fades would be going back and forth between 2 colors all day (not very realistic).  The frosted film I can get from Lowe’s or Amazon. Luminal has a programmable rgb bulb but not to sure it can do what I want and would prefer something that doesn’t require account setup.  I really appreciate any suggestions!

There are tons of LED strips out there, if you're looking for something that can shift with a sunrise and sunset effect, you're going to have to find a controller that will support this. Not all LED strips are the same quality, some LED's are manufactured better than others, some strips have a silicon covering, others are bare. 

If you're looking for a DIY one, look into a high quality sealed roll of the LED strips, you'll have to do some soldering if you want to get the strips extra cheap to terminate the ends. In terms of the controller, you can control the strips via either an Arduino which you can choose your flavor as long as it supports pulse width modulation (PWM) or a Raspberry Pi (again choose your flavor.) Going with a remote is convenient, but unnecessary unless you want to constantly tinker. If you go with a microcontroller with a relay setup, you can automate everything via code. With a Raspberry Pi you can login on your phone/PC/Mac to control it or if you have the experience or time to write an app that is another option. The issue with DIY remotes is the placement and sensitivity of the IR receiver, it can be done, but you're going to have to do some research on recommended solutions from recent postings as lots of these Chinese parts are not consistent in manufacturing.