Heater Failure nightmare

Ok here comes another comment that may shock some here...sorry!!!

If your going to use an ecternal controller with a dual heater setup like one of the ones shown earlier than the brand of heater you choose really doesnt matter and Ill tell you why...If you get a cheapo heater and it fails in the off position...your controller will alert you the temp is dropping and you will have plenty of time to find the problem and fix it....If the heater fails in the dreaded staying on "going to make gumbo out of your fish" position...the controller will see the rise in temp and shut off power to the heater and will continue to control it without a problem and your fish are safe.

I live in hell.....well South Florida so basically the same thing ...it is very very hot here and I do not need a heater...in fact I have to A/C my fish room just to keep Tank water at 80.   I would not use a heater without a controller and one that I can see from wherever I am so if there is a problem I can take the appropriate actions. 

This is just telling what I do and how I feel...YMMV

On 9/21/2021 at 12:55 PM, Sandra the fish rookie said:

@ARMYVET I am looking at the Inkbirds now.. do you recommend the single probe or the dual probe for my 40G?? 

If it were me....this is what I would buy...but thats just me!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07X1JT372/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Having the dual probe on a 36" long tank ensures stable temps across the entire tank.  

I just purchased one of these as a gift for a friend of mine. They have only had it for a week but I am guessing so far so good....if it wasnt I am sure I would have heard about it by now...LOL  

• Like 1

@ARMYVET Order placed 🙂 on the one you recommended !! I am in North Carolina, which is why I have my house at 98. I tell people to bring a sweater because I am not dropping the temp.. LOL.. 

I hear you on the heater.. Now.. here is another thing I heard.. 

The smaller the heater the harder it will have to work to heat the tank (esp if a larger tank). Like a AC unit if small and the space it has to cool is larger than its capacity it has to work harder to cool the space. So, should I have 2 100's or 2 150's? 

On 9/21/2021 at 1:09 PM, Sandra the fish rookie said:

@ARMYVET Order placed 🙂 on the one you recommended !! I am in North Carolina, which is why I have my house at 98. I tell people to bring a sweater because I am not dropping the temp.. LOL.. 

I hear you on the heater.. Now.. here is another thing I heard.. 

The smaller the heater the harder it will have to work to heat the tank (esp if a larger tank). Like a AC unit if small and the space it has to cool is larger than its capacity it has to work harder to cool the space. So, should I have 2 100's or 2 150's? 

I think you should watch a video that Cory put out on heaters.  I learned from this video and it really got me thinking which is why I do things the way I do now...When your done Ill answer any question you have!

• Thanks 1

On 9/21/2021 at 12:58 PM, ARMYVET said:

If your going to use an ecternal controller with a dual heater setup like one of the ones shown earlier than the brand of heater you choose really doesnt matter and Ill tell you why...If you get a cheapo heater and it fails in the off position...your controller will alert you the temp is dropping and you will have plenty of time to find the problem and fix it....If the heater fails in the dreaded staying on "going to make gumbo out of your fish" position...the controller will see the rise in temp and shut off power to the heater and will continue to control it without a problem and your fish are safe.

Agree completely!

• Like 1

On 9/21/2021 at 12:49 PM, Guppysnail said:

As of last year started moving away from glass heaters. Went with aquatop for awhile but they were same as all other glass heaters for me so went with the Aqueon pro now trying vivosun with external temp control and digital display recommended by @Atitagain  I hope the vivosun holds up only had it two weeks but the external adjuster and digital display I’m in love with. 

I have 3 of these got my first one a year ago today (no kidding I just looked it up lol) and no issues at all still running strong.

• Like 1

@ARMYVET and @Guppysnail HA! a ACO video that I HAVE NOT seen.. who knew! I got what your pitching! 2 100's is where it is.. and to get ready for anything that "may" happen to my 20G high.. I will get 2 50s for that one! 

You guys ROCK! I am all over it.. and will look for heaters on Amazon. My LFS is out of small ones.. he only has 300 or larger ones in stock.

• Love 1

On 9/21/2021 at 1:56 PM, Sandra the fish rookie said:

@ARMYVET and @Guppysnail HA! a ACO video that I HAVE NOT seen.. who knew! I got what your pitching! 2 100's is where it is.. and to get ready for anything that "may" happen to my 20G high.. I will get 2 50s for that one! 

You guys ROCK! I am all over it.. and will look for heaters on Amazon. My LFS is out of small ones.. he only has 300 or larger ones in stock.

YOU GO GIRL! I know I am speaking for both @Guppysnailand myself...we are so very glad we could help

• Like 2

On 9/21/2021 at 1:35 PM, ARMYVET said:

These....what?  LOL  Pictures or links please...LOL

The vivosun that @Guppysnailwas talking about VIVOSUN Submersible Aquarium Heater,

50W/100W/200W/300W/400W/500W Titanium Fish Tank Heaters with Intelligent LED Temperature Display and External Temperature Controller https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TXN9VST/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_X962ZMQCQZAW67YB0129?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

🥴🥴🥴

• Like 1

On 9/21/2021 at 2:05 PM, ARMYVET said:

YOU GO GIRL! I know I am speaking for both @Guppysnailand myself...we are so very glad we could help

This is WHY I love this forum! Everyone has so much experience that sometimes online reading, etc. does not offer! off to Amazon I go! Thank again! 

@Atitagain I am going on Amazon to get them now! Thank you!!!!! 

Right now my house is BLACK! its storming like crazy over here .. and now I NEED a sweater! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Let’s see what going on at home shall we…this is InkBird tech…A3CEF3CA-FBA5-40E0-94C9-AB14D7B3C8F7.png.61b66e8311f0e80d75fbbcabd1cf0550.png

So the outside air temp at my pond is 80.2 and the water temp is 78.3 my water temps fluctuate about 5 degrees from its highest to its lowest in 24 hours. 

In the fish room my air temp is 82.8 and the water temp is 80.6 . Looking at the last 24 hour readout log…the water temp has changes .53 degrees from its highest to its lowest. 

Just look at those humidity values😱

Sorry boys and girls…no heater needed😁

Edited by ARMYVET
  • Like 1

@ARMYVET You keep your house at 80.2! I would die! (well maybe burst into flames).. If it was a fish room, I would be in there with shorts and tank top .. LOL. I am Canadian, and can handle cold (I am a wimp now living in the south for 14 yrs), but I don't like to be hot in a house. The LFS I go to he keeps that place at 80 or so.. and I DIE in there.. the windows are steamed up.. LOL 

But I totally get what your saying though. If I had a pond, I would not have to heat it either. I have one outside in the screen porch, with no fish in it.. and even when the temp drops.. it got as gold as 65 so maybe a little itty bitty heater for that small rare instance..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My house is actually kept at 75.  The fish room at 80.  I have 3 fans in the fish room to to keep the air moving and it really doesnt feel bad in there at all. It is also where my Gaming Computer is so I spend alot of time in that room and never find it that bad at all.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2021 at 3:07 PM, Sandra the fish rookie said:

Dare I ask how many tanks are in your fish room @ARMYVET?? If I was still in Canada, my basement would have made a PERFECT fish room.. oh well.. no basements here.. but that didn't seem to stop me from having 4 tanks though.. LOL

I currently have 20 fish tanks and am in the process of adding another rack which should hold 15 more.  

I wish I had a basement!!  Imagine the things I could do with that.....🤗

• Haha 1

On 9/21/2021 at 11:24 AM, Sandra the fish rookie said:

@ARMYVET You keep your house at 80.2! I would die! (well maybe burst into flames).. If it was a fish room, I would be in there with shorts and tank top .. LOL. I am Canadian, and can handle cold (I am a wimp now living in the south for 14 yrs), but I don't like to be hot in a house. The LFS I go to he keeps that place at 80 or so.. and I DIE in there.. the windows are steamed up.. LOL 

But I totally get what your saying though. If I had a pond, I would not have to heat it either. I have one outside in the screen porch, with no fish in it.. and even when the temp drops.. it got as gold as 65 so maybe a little itty bitty heater for that small rare instance..

Ohhh, same here. I wilt if it gets above 70F... miserable days when we had the triple digits and most houses here do not have AC (including mine). 😵

• Like 1

Having had no prior experience with heaters before moving to Japan, I just kind of assumed they all looked like this, but based on the comments/pictures in this thread, maybe they don't? Is it uncommon to have a temperature control knob / temperature probe as part of the unit? This is what I have in the Red Eared Slider tank. (GEX Safe Cover NaviPack 300)

Screenshot_20210922-065545.png.7939eb56d9507e149935bc7f61398de8.png

Edited by Okesa
  • Like 1

On 9/21/2021 at 6:03 PM, Okesa said:

Having had no prior experience with heaters before moving to Japan, I just kind of assumed they all looked like this, but based on the comments/pictures in this thread, maybe they don't? Is it uncommon to have a temperature control knob / temperature probe as part of the unit? This is what I have in the Red Eared Slider tank. (GEX Safe Cover NaviPack 300)

Screenshot_20210922-065545.png.7939eb56d9507e149935bc7f61398de8.png

Yes it is uncommon....or well it used to be.  The setup you are showing is what we are building by getting a heater with external controller.  We are taking 2 separate pieces and making what yours comes as standard.  Of course Japan gets it right...LOL

• Like 1

On 9/22/2021 at 7:23 AM, ARMYVET said:

Yes it is uncommon....or well it used to be.  The setup you are showing is what we are building by getting a heater with external controller.  We are taking 2 separate pieces and making what yours comes as standard.  Of course Japan gets it right...LOL

I just got this one because it was rated for the biggest tank size. The actual heating unit is also replaceable if it dies. 

My smaller tank heater is less fancy. It has a controller, but no external probe. It does still have some kind of sensor that kicks the heater on if the temp falls below what is set on the dial.

81DuFGNTJiL._AC_SL1500_.jpg.5767c3784df65681f4ac7ecac09fa9aa.jpg

For reference, the big heater was around $48 and the small one was around $32. Not sure if that makes them a good deal or expensive.