Fish knowledge database

William Lynch

On 9/20/2021 at 7:19 PM, William Lynch said:

Really want to just sit down and nerd out on different fish species and such. What are a few good websites that offer a lot of knowledge on species profiles, breeding, history ect. Thank you! 

You are there my friend. And on here you'll be reading what people have actually experienced.

On 9/20/2021 at 7:19 PM, William Lynch said:

Really want to just sit down and nerd out on different fish species and such.

If you seriously want to nerd out, try building a spreadsheet.

I had started one several years back... sadly I didn't have Google Sheets as an option yet, so when our house burnt down I lost my spreadsheet. I have started a new one, but haven't gotten far enough for it to be of much nerm-enjoyment, lol.

Aquarium Co-op has tons of excellent information. 

I also Google *peer-reviewed + fish species* to get the most accurate information on various fish. My spreadsheet includes pH of natural habitat,  pH of avg tank raising operations, hardness (minimum and maximum), temp requirements, breeding requirements, size, aggression, size of  mouth, schooling/shoaling/solitary, etc.

Benefits of computerized spreadsheets vs old fashioned hand written (in addition to cloud back up) is searchability when looking for fish that enjoy specific water parameters to minimize work load.😅

• Like 2

On 9/21/2021 at 3:55 AM, Torrey said:

I had started one several years back... sadly I didn't have Google Sheets as an option yet, so when our house burnt down I lost my spreadsheet. I have started a new one, but haven't gotten far enough for it to be of much nerm-enjoyment, lol.

I also Google *peer-reviewed + fish species* to get the most accurate information on various fish. My spreadsheet includes pH of natural habitat,  pH of avg tank raising operations, hardness (minimum and maximum), temp requirements, breeding requirements, size, aggression, size of  mouth, schooling/shoaling/solitary, etc.

Benefits of computerized spreadsheets vs old fashioned hand written (in addition to cloud back up) is searchability when looking for fish that enjoy specific water parameters to minimize work load.😅

It would be so awesome to have a spreadsheet listing all this info 😍 it would make stocking choices very easy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I want one for plants, too.  I got to the point of purchasing Crypt. usteriana because it was listed as being from South America and I was intending it to be in the angelfish tank.  After I bought it, I kept thinking, that’s really weird that it’s listed to be from South America, I thought all Crypts. were from Asia, India, Sri Lanka, etc.  I checked about 5 different vendors, all of them had it listed as Central and South America.  I read several other vendors that I haven’t used before, all said Central and South America.  I keep reading because, “Hello, rabbit”, and it just didn’t seem right.  Finally found info that said the Philippines (good old Wikipedia), then got into more scientific reports to confirm, yep, southeast Asia/Philippines.  The plants are currently in plant holding and may end up in the pea puffer tank.

That’s a pretty basic mistake to list a family of plants that comes from halfway around the world as being from not just the wrong country, but the wrong continent, and wrong hemisphere.

There is some really good info out there, but there is also some very bad info out there.  But the thought of trying to gather all that info and putting it into a spreadsheet just makes me shudder.

• Thanks 1

On 9/21/2021 at 3:56 AM, Guppysnail said:

It would be so awesome to have a spreadsheet listing all this info 😍 it would make stocking choices very easy

Maybe we could start a Google doc for the Nerms?

People could add information including the parameter extremes that they have found, and how the fish behaved/ reacted at those extremes?

Someone who is more technologically savvy than I could enter the various search parameters, so someone could research fish based on tank size requirements, or pH requirements,  or temp requirements, and cross reference until they are easily able to see what fish will match what they have, instead of trying to force water to match the fish a person bought🤷‍♂️

If any nerm has the tech skills to help build an easily searchable spreadsheet, please give me a holler.

Because I am not going to recreate the hardcopy one again 😅

On 9/21/2021 at 3:31 PM, Odd Duck said:

There is some really good info out there, but there is also some very bad info out there.  But the thought of trying to gather all that info and putting it into a spreadsheet just makes me shudder.

But if we all work together, it wouldn't be as overwhelming.....

I think a nerm designed ACF Spreadsheet of Plants, and ACF Spreadsheet of fish would be a huge benefit..... @Zenzo if we do it right, that could be a Forum Members benefit, yes?

• Like 1

On 9/23/2021 at 10:36 PM, Torrey said:

But if we all work together, it wouldn't be as overwhelming.....

I think a nerm designed ACF Spreadsheet of Plants, and ACF Spreadsheet of fish would be a huge benefit..... @Zenzo if we do it right, that could be a Forum Members benefit, yes?

It would make it easier to let members contribute what they can.  The sticking point is that someone would still have to verify the info and the reliability of the source, input the data, continually update the data/info, resolve conflicting opinions vs scientific data, etc.

It’s a fantastic idea, but a massive undertaking and would duplicate a lot of info that’s already out there.  This would be a full time job with no monetary payout that I can see and no end in sight as new info is discovered, new species are discovered, new varieties and strains are developed, old info is debunked, etc, etc, etc.  Which is why the thought of actually trying to make this happen makes me shudder with dread from the Herculean size of the task.

• Like 1

• Administrators

I have to agree with @Odd Duckon this "Herculean size task".

As much as I like the idea of adding more benefits, I for one do not have the bandwidth to even begin a project such as this. It is hard to imagine anyone that isn't retired and looking for something to do to even attempt this endeavor.

With that being said, if anyone wants to attempt this feat, you have my support!😁

On 9/23/2021 at 9:49 PM, Odd Duck said:

Which is why the thought of actually trying to make this happen makes me shudder with dread from the Herculean size of the task.

Yeah........

I just spent 15 minutes down the rabbit hole.....

**if** someone volunteers who is more tech savvy, I found 3 ways to make it easier, and anyone who submits information that doesn't include a citation to verify, it doesn't get included. 

I think it could be a fun project, still, but not quite as fun as I first envisioned 😅

Internet is great, because so much information at my fingertips. 

**AND**

INTERNET IS HORRIBLE BECAUSE ALMOST 90% ISN'T VERIFIED😳

• Like 3

On 9/23/2021 at 11:24 PM, Torrey said:

Yeah........

I just spent 15 minutes down the rabbit hole.....

**if** someone volunteers who is more tech savvy, I found 3 ways to make it easier, and anyone who submits information that doesn't include a citation to verify, it doesn't get included. 

I think it could be a fun project, still, but not quite as fun as I first envisioned 😅

Internet is great, because so much information at my fingertips. 

**AND**

INTERNET IS HORRIBLE BECAUSE ALMOST 90% ISN'T VERIFIED😳

Yep, exactly!  This is how I ended up getting plants I didn’t actually need or want because I didn’t check quite enough sources before hitting “add to cart” and “checkout” even though my gut was telling me the info was wrong.  I’ll still use those plants even though they’re not very distinctive and I wouldn’t have purchased them without the misinformation.  I just won’t be using them for the tank that was the reason for buying.

Edited by Odd Duck
  • Thanks 1

@Odd Duck that's why I thought it would be such a great idea.

And while I knew I couldn't do it all alone, after spending 15 minutes doing general searches instead of peer-reviewed searches, I instantly saw what you and Zenzo were talking about:

A potential disaster. 

Things that would make it easier?

1. Access to the university's plagiarism program 

2. People who already know how to do peer-reviewed research, or willing to learn how to pull peer-reviewed articles 

3. Limiting the spreadsheet to peer-reviewed info on fish, and use full citations (see #1)

I don't know how many people are like me, and pull peer-reviewed research to cross-reference meta data for fun😅

• Like 2

On 9/23/2021 at 11:37 PM, Torrey said:

@Odd Duck that's why I thought it would be such a great idea.

And while I knew I couldn't do it all alone, after spending 15 minutes doing general searches instead of peer-reviewed searches, I instantly saw what you and Zenzo were talking about:

A potential disaster. 

Things that would make it easier?

1. Access to the university's plagiarism program 

2. People who already know how to do peer-reviewed research, or willing to learn how to pull peer-reviewed articles 

3. Limiting the spreadsheet to peer-reviewed info on fish, and use full citations (see #1)

I don't know how many people are like me, and pull peer-reviewed research to cross-reference meta data for fun😅

Yep.  Herculean.  I’ve written and read enough articles on so many assorted subjects that I know how difficult it is to be accurate in verifying sources.

I have a colleague who’s pet peeve is scientific articles that quote other articles, that quote other articles, etc, instead of tracking the first article’s quote to the source.  He’s uncovered stuff that has been quoted so many times, through so many layers, that it’s accepted as fact.  When he finally tracked it to the source it was pure speculation in a poor quality, non-peer reviewed research paper.  He likes debunking junk science.

I do love the idea.  I would help when I can, but schedules being what they are makes it difficult.

• Like 3

On 9/21/2021 at 3:55 AM, Torrey said:

I have a quick questio, how do you have access to scholar papers. I college it was easy now most are blocked even through Google scholarly. I would really love to have access to them. 

On 9/24/2021 at 2:31 AM, Brandon p said:

I have a quick questio, how do you have access to scholar papers. I college it was easy now most are blocked even through Google scholarly. I would really love to have access to them. 

I have a few different methods, from easiest to most difficult:

1. You already listed Google scholar

2. A VPN in another country that actually values science. Use boolean search methods

*peer-reviewed (+ research)*

ie: *peer-reviewed betta splendens tannins healing* and about 30 research articles come up from Malaysia, Australia, and the Philippines in my DuckDuckGo browser VPN based out of the Netherlands [try in Google chrome, and 3 come up]

3. Go to the local university and request access to the research stacks. Some universities require that you take at least one class, other universities will allow alums to research. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/24/2021 at 11:43 PM, Torrey said:

I have a few different methods, from easiest to most difficult:

1. You already listed Google scholar

2. A VPN in another country that actually values science. Use boolean search methods

*peer-reviewed (+ research)*

ie: *peer-reviewed betta splendens tannins healing* and about 30 research articles come up from Malaysia, Australia, and the Philippines in my DuckDuckGo browser VPN based out of the Netherlands [try in Google chrome, and 3 come up]

3. Go to the local university and request access to the research stacks. Some universities require that you take at least one class, other universities will allow alums to research. 

I’ll have to use my vpn. I hear about it bout in didnt click in my mind. 

• Like 1