Filter Cartridge Replacement Question

eddie462

This is my 75g paludarium and I would like to know if I’ll get an ammonia spike by replacing the clogged filter cartridge. The paludarium is over a year old so it should have plenty of BB in the gravel, on plants etc…

The second picture shows the cartridge and course filter pad that was in the Reptofilter. The third picture is of the fine sponge the I replaced the cartridge with. I put the new sponge in the filter along with the course pad. I placed the old cartridge in the water too and I’ll remove if I don’t need it. 

I have a small sponge filter in there as well. It’s been running in there for over a month so it should have BB. 

I think I will be safe as there are a lot of stem plants, aquatic moss, floating plants in the water. The terrestrial plants have their roots growing into the water as well. It also has a medium stocking level. I’m making this post to make sure that I’ll be safe for the next month. I will test the water daily too. 

2ACA2FE0-1735-4C39-89A9-D126E26C60E8.jpeg

65224ECC-0CE1-44F1-9CEE-3DCBABA3FB56.jpeg

3C10A4C7-F7FD-43E2-81E8-7769CF8A76C3.jpeg

On 9/20/2021 at 11:37 AM, Tihshho said:

Being this tank is established, has a lot of plants, and has a sponge filter, you should be good to go to pull the cartridge without seeing adverse effects. 

On 9/20/2021 at 11:41 AM, ARMYVET said:

I think you would be fine.  There is a ton of Surface area in there to hold bacteria as compared to that cart.

Thank you.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2021 at 12:01 PM, Scott P. said:

You will be fine. That said I don't run anything in my filter that needs to be replaced. Just sponges that can be rinsed and used again.

That was the only cartridge I had. I know that they’re a grift but I wanted to wait for a long time to make sure the rest of my tank had BB. 

• Like 1