Jump to content

Hatching BBS


RyanU
 Share

Recommended Posts

Did you get the ziss brine shrimp hatchery from aquarium coop?

If so I fill mine 3/4ish the way full (about a liter and 1/2) 3 heaping tablespoon of salt 2 teaspoons of bbs. Get at least 95% hatch rate. You will have to adjust your measurements according to your water ( mines very hard), temperature (mine room temp about 70-72), bubble flow (low-ish) 

I cut all measurements in half for smaller batches.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/19/2021 at 6:45 PM, Atitagain said:

The ziss hatchery to me is well worth the money I love the ease of use and clean up. Definitely don’t use the stand that comes with it. I’ve been rinsing off my hatches lately, do you all rinse or put the salt water in your tanks? 
I’m gonna try and use a little less water on next batch, sounds like I could.

I dilute. Not same as washing, but lowers salt level. Basically, I siphon shrimp from hatchery into specimen container with tank water.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/19/2021 at 1:23 PM, RyanU said:

 How much salt to water so I need to make and can I use api aquarium salt? 

They are tolerant of a pretty wide range, something like 0.5 to 2.5 tablespoons per liter is what I recall reading. Personally I use one tablespoon per liter. I use marine salt now but used API aquarium salt for a long time with great results.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/19/2021 at 6:45 PM, Atitagain said:

The ziss hatchery to me is well worth the money I love the ease of use and clean up. Definitely don’t use the stand that comes with it. I’ve been rinsing off my hatches lately, do you all rinse or put the salt water in your tanks? 
I’m gonna try and use a little less water on next batch, sounds like I could.

I too love the Ziss Hatcher’s. Mounted a rack to the wall for two Hatcher’s.  Makes harvesting easier to me.  I drain thru a stacked sieve to help separate eggs from shrimp…rinse with tap then put shrimp into tank water to feed.  I have hard enough water without adding salt and minerals. 
2D312A90-31E6-4D41-A1DE-EBC04CBBB8C1.jpeg.6faa4977bfc4640703b932fdd38d1530.jpeg

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/19/2021 at 7:47 PM, ARMYVET said:

I too love the Ziss Hatcher’s. Mounted a rack to the wall for two Hatcher’s.  Makes harvesting easier to me.  I drain thru a stacked sieve to help separate eggs from shrimp…rinse with tap then put shrimp into tank water to feed.  I have hard enough water without adding salt and minerals. 
2D312A90-31E6-4D41-A1DE-EBC04CBBB8C1.jpeg.6faa4977bfc4640703b932fdd38d1530.jpeg

Can’t wait till I need my second one. Right now I’m only harvesting like once a week, using for a couple days. Using it as a varied diet. 
how will I talk the wife into that purchase? Sure it will have something to do with taking care of the babies. Now just need to make more babies.( not with the wife )

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/19/2021 at 8:56 PM, Atitagain said:

Can’t wait till I need my second one. Right now I’m only harvesting like once a week, using for a couple days. Using it as a varied diet. 
how will I talk the wife into that purchase? Sure it will have something to do with taking care of the babies. Now just need to make more babies.( not with the wife )

I harvest and make new daily because I currently have 6 tanks with fry of 3 weeks or less in age.  I have an additional 3 tanks that have very pregnant females that will be dropping fry any time now.  I also have a specimen container with my Cory fry that are a less than a week old….sooo yeah lots of babies lol. 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/19/2021 at 7:47 PM, ARMYVET said:

I too love the Ziss Hatcher’s. Mounted a rack to the wall for two Hatcher’s.  Makes harvesting easier to me.  I drain thru a stacked sieve to help separate eggs from shrimp…rinse with tap then put shrimp into tank water to feed.  I have hard enough water without adding salt and minerals. 
2D312A90-31E6-4D41-A1DE-EBC04CBBB8C1.jpeg.6faa4977bfc4640703b932fdd38d1530.jpeg

what size micron/mesh combo do you use for the egg separation?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/19/2021 at 8:38 PM, RyanU said:

I did not get the ziss. I got one that I can hang inside my tank too keep temp up. I don't have a ton of room established yet you the hobby. I found a smaller one that mostly fits in my 5 gallon grow out tank. I only have 11 fry currently so I don't need to hatch that many. 

I have a ziss that when I don’t have a ton of need and use the ACCO and I cand used it for 4 days. The eggs that are not hatching will stick to the walls and I love it. The longer I have been going I am getting more fry and a greed to fish I believe that are about to Span.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...