No clog air stone just clogged

Vin123

• 2 months later...

I also have hard water and I have a well seasoned 10 gallon that does seem to be pretty high maintenance. I have to gravel vac once a week. I clean the pad every week with one of those little pipe cleaner scrubbers for reusable straws, but it gets gunked up and has less air flow by next cleaning. I do notice it gets some hard water build up on the inner circle of the felt pads and some slimy build up on the outside but usually after a cleaning it works fine. I’ve been wondering if it was just me but it looks like it just varies with different conditions. 

I use 20 of them. Mostly in my mattenfilters. The ones that clog are any that go near brine shrimp and the ones that are in the smaller mattenfilters with 3/4" pvc tubes. I'm in Florida with liquid rock water. I think some people take the never clog name too serious. At least you can bring it back to life by cleaning it. I seem to have the best success and very minimal to zero clogging when I barely screw the end cap on. I really like the air stones that come with the ziss breeder boxes and tumblers. The smaller size and simple design works great in my smaller uplift tubes. I would buy some if they were offered.

I woke up one morning to find no flow from my Never Clog in a QT tank that had just been medicated. When I checked the USB pump it was dead. I pulled it and set up a Whisper 10 that I had. It came on, but no air! I broke down the sponge filter, removed the Never Clog, and immediately had bubbles. I loosened the Never Clog (twisted the two plastic parts), put it back on the airline and had bubbles...

I think it might have been too tight? Add the hard water, salt, and meds... maybe that did it. It for sure burnt up my USB pump and my sick fish was dead.