Help with plants

Leoaqua

Oh I have that plant! Mine is also just barely pink at the tips. It grew really slowly when it was stuck under some other plants, but now that I’ve got it in a more open spot, it’s doing better. Give yours time and plenty of light and hopefully it will recover back to it’s fast-growing self.

• Like 1

@eatyourpeas@Patrick_G@HobbitGot the crushed coral today and my API test kits. The liquid test kits are obviously more accurate than the strips so here are my results. Also, my understanding is that crushed coral will also increase GH correct? which means I should stop using seachem equilibrium to raise the GH of my tap water. 

From the tank: pH 6.6, nitrate 5-10, GH 10 drops so around 180 ppm, dkH was 1 drop or 1 degree

IMG_20210921_095150.jpg.0385702f2768a204e600d341da980228.jpgIMG_20210921_093006.jpg.dee1043324078e97686a0f29f3bcb679.jpg

From the tap: pH 7-7.2 (very hard for me to tell), nitrate 0, GH 2 drops so around 35.8pp, dKH was 2 drops or 2 degrees. dont know the conversion from degree to ppm. 

IMG_20210921_102404.jpg.6b9de22623381e306e5eb6033ad96583.jpgIMG_20210921_101405.jpg.8adc10963429ca33b800336685d67a3b.jpg

Edited by Leoaqua

Your tank is showing to be on the acidic side. Try the crushed coral and see how it goes. I did have a similar tank and corrected the KH, which took care of bringing the pH to neutral. I think it is a good idea to stop the Equilibrium and focus on one variable, otherwise it can get very confusing as to what works and what doesn't. Here is an article on pH, KH, GH and a healthy tank.

Do you know the water parameters of the tank where the plants came from? That may help. Also, I do not use liquid carbon due to it containing glutaraldehyde, which is known to be nasty.

Also, One dKH is equal to 17.9 mg/L or 17.9 ppm. 

I hope it goes well, and please keep us posted. 😃

• Like 1

It looks like your anubia are starving.  EG will definitely help.  With your nitrates being so low, it is reasonable that the other nutrients are equally low.  My anubia required extra potassium to stop the decay.  You could try increasing the EG dosage.  Remember it will be weeks to see real changes.

I trimmed all but 1 of the damaged leaves, keeping 1 of the least damaged.  The theory being that the plant will continue to absorb that leaf first if there is a problem.  If the leaf does not continue to decay, you are on the right track.

@RockoBalready mentioned hydrogen peroxide treatments in and outside the tank are effective for BBA treatment.  Inside the tank, this is best done just before the lights go out at night.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/30/2021 at 5:52 PM, Leoaqua said:

@Patrick_Gwell my scarlet temple melted pretty fast in my tank. its literally gone. I had gotten 2 plants a week ago. but both melted. and it was so beautiful when it arrived! 😪

It does happen sometimes. I’d try another plant, maybe Pogostemon Octopus, and see how that goes. You’ll find some plants do better than others in different situations.

Edited by Patrick_G

Update on my plants. Nothing much is going on with the anubias for now.

My cryptocoryne wendtii green leaves have been healthy and also healthy new growth. No melting at all since i planted it on Sep 9

My cryptocoryne parva i haven't notice any grown as far as I'm aware. I always struggle with a few getting uprooted by my nerite snails

The baby tears are growing and dying? The bottom leaves are becoming yellow, and new growth looks healthy and green.

Still considering on planting more plants. The 2 scarlet temple melted away.

IMG_20211002_112035.jpg

IMG_20211002_112121.jpg

IMG_20211002_112038.jpg

IMG_20211002_112257.jpg

IMG_20211002_112300.jpg

IMG_20211002_112309.jpg

IMG_20211002_112326.jpg

On 10/2/2021 at 12:49 PM, Patrick_G said:

Mine grow like that too, and they also grow very slow. Put a bit of hardscape or a low plant in front and the unattractive part won’t be visible. 

ahhh ok! thank you for letting me know its normal for this plant to do this!

• Like 1

I've just started experimenting with live plants-I have some Anubis and some Java Ferns. they've been in my fishless tank for about 3 weeks now. They are starting to get some new green leaves but I have a few brownish spots as well similar to the ones in Leoaqua's photos. They kind of look like they could use some fertilizer to me but my nitrates have been 10-20's so I haven't added any liquid fertilizer (I do have some root tabs in the substrate). When should I start adding a little Easy Green? I was kind of waiting for the nitrates to go down a bit more because for whatever reason, they seem to randomly go up even though there are no fish in the tank (it's a 10 gal tank that will eventually be my quarantine tank). Maybe they are lacking in some other nutrients?  (If the nitrates go above 20-30 I change out a couple gallons of water)

On 10/2/2021 at 6:46 PM, Leoaqua said:

ahhh ok! thank you for letting me know its normal for this plant to do this!

I’m sure some folks have 100% perfect looking plants but most of use just enjoy them as is. To be honest you could also cut off the top 3/4 of those baby tears and replant them. They may or may not end up with the yellow bottom after growing out a bit. 

• 1 month later...

Update on plants. When i first got the scarlet temple in my tank, it was pretty much dead by the next day. I have bleach dip my anubias plants that are not attached to the wood recently and I've seen new growth coming out of the rhyzome. 

I also added CO2 just last week. And I've been running every since. The cryptocoryne wendtii green on the right is always pearling. 

I also added tonina fluviatilis and alternanthera reineckii mini, both from ADA tissue culture just last week and both have been growing good so far. 

IMG_20211109_144010.jpg

On 10/2/2021 at 10:13 PM, dmurray407 said:

I've just started experimenting with live plants-I have some Anubis and some Java Ferns. they've been in my fishless tank for about 3 weeks now. They are starting to get some new green leaves but I have a few brownish spots as well similar to the ones in Leoaqua's photos. They kind of look like they could use some fertilizer to me but my nitrates have been 10-20's so I haven't added any liquid fertilizer (I do have some root tabs in the substrate). When should I start adding a little Easy Green? I was kind of waiting for the nitrates to go down a bit more because for whatever reason, they seem to randomly go up even though there are no fish in the tank (it's a 10 gal tank that will eventually be my quarantine tank). Maybe they are lacking in some other nutrients?  (If the nitrates go above 20-30 I change out a couple gallons of water)

My ten gallon is my experimental tank, and the best looking planted tank. it gets one shot of EG every week or two and nothing else. No filters, fish, heat or water changes.  It does have pest snails.  If your tank is fishless, I would cut back on the WCs. and see how that works.  20-30ppm is not a problem.  Mine are closer to 50ppm 

• Like 1