New light?

sairving

Currently, I'm using a finnex planted plus clip on my 5.5 gallon tank.  Within the next month or two, I will be upgrading to a 10 gallon.  Just waiting for the next sale at Petco.  I have a few plants the require medium light and worry that my current light won't provide enough light for a 10 gallon tank.  My dream light is a Fluval Plant light but I really can't see spending that much on a light right now.  Even the current price on Finnex lights seem high.  The fluval aquasky and the Finnex Planted Plus HLC currently cost the same. 

Has anyone used a finnex planted plus clip on a 10 gallon?  If i'm buying a new light, would a fluval Aquasky have a high enough par rating?  

• Administrators
On 9/18/2021 at 4:12 PM, sairving said:

Currently, I'm using a finnex planted plus clip on my 5.5 gallon tank.  Within the next month or two, I will be upgrading to a 10 gallon.  Just waiting for the next sale at Petco.  I have a few plants the require medium light and worry that my current light won't provide enough light for a 10 gallon tank.  My dream light is a Fluval Plant light but I really can't see spending that much on a light right now.  Even the current price on Finnex lights seem high.  The fluval aquasky and the Finnex Planted Plus HLC currently cost the same. 

Has anyone used a finnex planted plus clip on a 10 gallon?  If i'm buying a new light, would a fluval Aquasky have a high enough par rating?  

You can read reviews on the aquarium co-op website. People there are even having success with this little light on 20 gallon highs. With a 10 gallon tank, you shouldn't have any issues, as the tank is not very tall, so the light should reach the bottom for any shorter plants, and suit your needs well. 

On 9/18/2021 at 7:06 PM, Zenzo said:

You can read reviews on the aquarium co-op website. People there are even having success with this little light on 20 gallon highs. With a 10 gallon tank, you shouldn't have any issues, as the tank is not very tall, so the light should reach the bottom for any shorter plants, and suit your needs well. 

Awesome! I didn't realize Aquarium Co-op sold this light.  I went back to look to see if anyone with a 10 gallon or larger left  reviews on Amazon.  Which would be fine, if people actually left helpful reviews.  

I'll go take a look at the reviews.  

On 9/18/2021 at 7:08 PM, KBOzzie59 said:

Yes and they works great.

image.png.a84dfc671f0375de884ec3287d82d3c6.png

Nice! What are the tall plants?

On 9/19/2021 at 1:43 AM, s1_ said:

If you don't want to wait for the Petco sale check pet supplies plus. They are currently running the same sale. 

Thanks! I just ordered a tank for curbside pickup.  Now the only thing I have to hunt down is a 20 inch versa top.  Everyone seems to be out of stock in the area.  It's just the 20 inch size too.  Maybe this is a good time to try a dyi lid.

Edited by sairving

On 9/20/2021 at 3:54 PM, sairving said:

Crypts have always died on me.  Doesn't matter if they are in aquasoil or inert substrate.  

Some aren’t as prone to  the dreaded crypt melt. My favorite so for is crypt Balansae. 
Here’s a pic of mine. It’s the tall plant on the right mid ground. 

7639D53D-DABD-4BA5-8D42-9AEBD0F13E90.jpeg

• Like 1