Bacopa, good or bad taste wise?

Keeg

I want to grow some edible aquarium plants because why not. And ive found that duck weed, bacopa, and pennywort are the main ones. But bacopa seems like its the only one with flavor. Can anybody confirm its flavor of slight lemon? Does anybody know of any other truly aquatic and edible plants? 

I kind of want to grow strawberries emersed as a cool little farm for the fish but that's a whole different story. 

@Keeg one thing to keep in mind is the products you use in this setup if you personally plan on harvesting plants for human consumption. You'll need to make sure that anything added to the tank meets has been passed by the FDA in order for you not to get sick. You can note on a lot of our hobbyist off the shelf items (foods, meds, conditioners, etc) that they will say "not for use for animals/fish being grown for human consumption" You might want to grow these plants emersed without fish so you don't have to be concerned about the plants absorbing any chemicals/meds that are going to end up getting into your system. 

On 9/18/2021 at 2:26 PM, Tihshho said:

@Keeg one thing to keep in mind is the products you use in this setup if you personally plan on harvesting plants for human consumption. You'll need to make sure that anything added to the tank meets has been passed by the FDA in order for you not to get sick. You can note on a lot of our hobbyist off the shelf items (foods, meds, conditioners, etc) that they will say "not for use for animals/fish being grown for human consumption" You might want to grow these plants emersed without fish so you don't have to be concerned about the plants absorbing any chemicals/meds that are going to end up getting into your system. 

This is a project far into the future. I dont treat my water with anything besides easy green. All of the plants, wood, and fish were all properly quarantined before being added. So im pretty confident I would not have any aliments enter my body through the tank. If I had to drink from it in an emergency situation, I would not hesitate. 

Well @Keeghere you go. Lemon bacopa. All the plants in my new pleco grow out tank were grown from stubs by me. The only thing in the tank are my babies. I don’t fear my tank water it tests cleaner than the sewer water that comes out of my tap because my plant purify it. The leaf broke as I plucked it. It tastes like it smell only less so. It’s very slight hint of the lemony minty smell but gone quick with just texture left. Any others you are curious about 🤣. I did rinse it off first very well.

E96DFE52-9F32-40B8-953C-AEED9B8B7E07.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1