Spotted Congo Puffer with Goldfish?

Nick Y

Hi Everyone,

I was hoping for some analysis and discussion on the likelihood of having happy, healthy fish combining a spotted Congo puffer with three fancy goldfish.  The fancy goldfish are two ranchus and a fantail(about 3”).  I haven’t ordered and don’t have the puffer so there’s no emergency or issues right now.  Just looking for thoughtful analysis on whether it’s even worth a shot.

Per Cory and other experienced goldfish keepers, I keep my goldfish tank at 74-75 degrees.  The tank size is 75 gallons and there’s also a lemon blue eyed bristlenose in the tank.  I love my goldfish and would LOVE to get a Schoutedeni puffer to add to the tank.  I don’t have the room to set up another dedicated tank for the puffer.  

Given the cost, I really want to analyze whether that combo has a relative likelihood of success.   My initial thoughts are the biggest issues could be competition for food/different food needs and possible fin nipping of goldfish. In reviewing water parameters, it seems like both types of fish are pretty flexible as long as it’s low nitrate nitrite ammonia.  

My thoughts on the food would be to feed live scuds as a primary food source for the puffer and goldfish along with blood worms and some snails.   I know there could be a choking risk for snails and goldfish.  Also thought frozen or freeze dried krill would be another good option for both.   Please let me know your thoughts!

To be completely honest, this sounds like a terrible idea. The goldfish would 100% get attacked in time, plus goldfish like the lower end of 70s but the puffer will like the higher end. Plus goldfish do wayyy better in an open space tank because of how clumsy they are, the puffer needs lots of sight breaks and hiding places in order to truly thrive. If you dont have the space and or time for a puffer tank, dont get one. Ive found them to need lots of attention and when they get frustrated, they take it out on the inhabitants and plants. And I wouldn't be concerned of the goldfish chocking on snails, I would be concerned of them eating sharp snail shell bits that the puffer would make from eating the snails. 

• Like 2

I'd agree with @Keeg completely on this. The finnage of the goldfish would get destroyed, and fancy species of goldfish are not suited to being able to quickly flee from predators. Your best bet with one tank is to figure out which species you'd like to house more, and from there go with that. 

• Like 1