Is my neon tetra ok?

KentFishFanUK

Ok so apologies for the rubbish pics, I am not good at taking them and they didn't make it easy!

I have a couple neon tetras who I'm worried about how bulging their bellies are, one in particular. 

The photos might not do it justice but tried to capture it. It definitely seems worse after feeding but might just be that's when I notice it? 

Fish are swimming and eating well, in fact the biggest one is probably the feistiest out of them all. 

Anyway here's the pics:

PXL_20210917_174404569.MP_exported_109.jpg.25c2f0893ef0edd22874e936ff367e49.jpgPXL_20210917_174536384.MP_exported_1132.jpg.5950c5c9ea665c1314b6eefd35a364fd.jpgPXL_20210917_174602453.MP_exported_733.jpg.93effe9db9d2072f5dfb41d1cbf10d98.jpgPXL_20210917_174539292.jpg.09b837f09953c95691113ff7d6f07714.jpgPXL_20210917_174444393.jpg.e1e7e5e631564ffb25d6a2cd923c695e.jpgPXL_20210917_174443357.jpg.ca6c20fc96040ac9e79ace140bcc01fc.jpg

Most of them are reasonably streamlined but a couple look really bloated, am I worrying over nothing?

Thanks in advance!

PXL_20210917_174404569.MP.jpg

On 9/17/2021 at 8:07 PM, Colu said:

What I would do is fast them for a couple of days they could just be fat or carrying eggs see if they lose weight 

I have fasted them before for at least a day maybe two (do it sporadically - don't have much of a schedule with feeding) and it's gone down I think but not enough that I can't still tell which ones the "fat ones" are. 

How would I know if it's eggs? If it is, is it a problem? I know they won't breed without the right pH and low light etc but could they still become 'egg bound'? (I've heard that phrase before regarding other fish and I'm assuming it means what I think it does)

Female neon are slightly bigger and a more round belly if they are carrying eggs you will notice when you check your fish in the morning they will have suddenly losed weight they like to lay their eggs Frist thing in the morning when the first natural light hits the tank

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/17/2021 at 8:16 PM, Colu said:

Female neon are slightly bigger and a more round belly if they are carrying eggs you will notice when you check your fish in the morning they will have suddenly losed weight they like to lay their eggs Frist thing in the morning when the first natural light hits the tank

Thanks! So do they need that natural light hitting the tank? I normally keep the blinds close and turn on the tank light in the morning. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello @KentFishFanUK!  I was wondering how this is going?  I have a black neon tetra who is quite bloated but otherwise seems fine.  I have  withheld food for the past day and am planning to get it into a quarantine tank today.  So, a similar situation to yours and was hoping you had some pointers.  TIA 😃

• Like 1

As @Toniksaid I'd also be interested to hear about the update from @KentFishFanUK.

The one thing I can add to this thread is that I have a few neon tetras that look just like that but by all accounts seem perfectly fine.  I have around 40 Neon Tetras in my 75 gallon tank who have been there for over two years and they've all went through meds twice. Like I mentioned before, a few have giant bellies but behave just like the others with no issues that I can tell.  With that said, if you have never ran your fish through any medications then you may want to as a precaution.

Lastly, am I an expert in fish disease? Nope.  Maybe my few tetras have something bad and I haven't caught it but it hasn't spread in two years and they still swim, eat, and hang out in the tank like everyone else.  Good luck!

• Like 2

On 9/28/2021 at 5:30 PM, Tonik said:

Hello @KentFishFanUK!  I was wondering how this is going?  I have a black neon tetra who is quite bloated but otherwise seems fine.  I have  withheld food for the past day and am planning to get it into a quarantine tank today.  So, a similar situation to yours and was hoping you had some pointers.  TIA 😃

On 9/29/2021 at 4:01 AM, ZoeyFish said:

As @Toniksaid I'd also be interested to hear about the update from @KentFishFanUK.

The one thing I can add to this thread is that I have a few neon tetras that look just like that but by all accounts seem perfectly fine.  I have around 40 Neon Tetras in my 75 gallon tank who have been there for over two years and they've all went through meds twice. Like I mentioned before, a few have giant bellies but behave just like the others with no issues that I can tell.  With that said, if you have never ran your fish through any medications then you may want to as a precaution.

Lastly, am I an expert in fish disease? Nope.  Maybe my few tetras have something bad and I haven't caught it but it hasn't spread in two years and they still swim, eat, and hang out in the tank like everyone else.  Good luck!

Thanks for the interest peeps! So far no real change that I've noticed that just like you guys have experienced there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the bloated looking ones - in fact I think they have also grown the most out of all of them and tend to be the 'sassiest' out of them. Maybe they are dominant females and have full bellies from eggs or something? I do find random non viable eggs occasionally in my tank, I didn't think it was from the neons but could be. I've had them for 4 months now and they've been like it since the beginning so I've kind of decided to just not worry about it, if it 'spreads' and the slender ones start getting it too then I will have to rethink my plan. 

As for meds the place I get them from deworms and quarantines them before he allows them to go on sale, not sure what else I can do here as in the UK and the meds we can get aren't the same. Like I think I can get ich-x but I'm pretty sure that wouldn't do anything as I haven't seen any ich symptoms. Can't get maracyn for example (well I can order it from the US apparently but it will cost me like £50 inc. shipping and that's for like 4 small sachets of it, then I have no idea about import regulations and whether it would even get past customs). 

So yeah I'm basically winging it with no ill affect so far (to my knowledge). 

Keep me posted about your tetras if anything changes or you figure anything out! Especially if you treat with anything that works 🙂

• Like 1

On 9/29/2021 at 5:02 AM, KentFishFanUK said:

As for meds the place I get them from deworms and quarantines them before he allows them to go on sale, not sure what else I can do here as in the UK and the meds we can get aren't the same. Like I think I can get ich-x but I'm pretty sure that wouldn't do anything as I haven't seen any ich symptoms. Can't get maracyn for example (well I can order it from the US apparently but it will cost me like £50 inc. shipping and that's for like 4 small sachets of it, then I have no idea about import regulations and whether it would even get past customs). 

Theres a couple of effective med you can get in the UK Esha gdex active ingredient is praziquantel for external parasites Esha ndx active ingredient is levamisole for internal parasites Sera baktopur direct tables active ingredient is nifurpirinol a broad spectrum antibiotic for bacterial infection that's what I would have on hand 

Edited by Colu
  • Thanks 2

On 9/29/2021 at 12:02 AM, KentFishFanUK said:

Thanks for the interest peeps! So far no real change that I've noticed that just like you guys have experienced there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the bloated looking ones - in fact I think they have also grown the most out of all of them and tend to be the 'sassiest' out of them. Maybe they are dominant females and have full bellies from eggs or something? I do find random non viable eggs occasionally in my tank, I didn't think it was from the neons but could be. I've had them for 4 months now and they've been like it since the beginning so I've kind of decided to just not worry about it, if it 'spreads' and the slender ones start getting it too then I will have to rethink my plan. 

So yeah I'm basically winging it with no ill affect so far (to my knowledge). 

Keep me posted about your tetras if anything changes or you figure anything out! Especially if you treat with anything that works 🙂

On 9/29/2021 at 9:10 AM, laritheloud said:

Looks eggy to me. Female tetras can get impressively plump when they're carrying eggs. Hopefully that's all it is!

My guys (or ladies) seem to be fine too.  I hope eggs are all it is, and those poor eggs will be eaten up straight away so I may never know!  

Thanks!

• Like 1

On 9/29/2021 at 11:17 AM, Colu said:

Theres a couple of effective med you can get in the UK Esha gdex active ingredient is praziquantel for external parasites Esha ndx active ingredient is levamisole for internal parasites Sera baktopur direct tables active ingredient is nifurpirinol a broad spectrum antibiotic for bacterial infection that's what I would have on hand 

Thanks for that info! Will add them to my fishy shopping list

On 9/29/2021 at 2:10 PM, laritheloud said:

Looks eggy to me. Female tetras can get impressively plump when they're carrying eggs. Hopefully that's all it is!

Hopefully! Though now I feel a little bad I haven't given them the right conditions to breed haha

Edited by KentFishFanUK
Changed a word