Breeding Angelfish in a 10gallon?

FrozenFins

Hey all,

I have a 10 gallon that I have been breeding some rams. But my favorite fish is the angelfish. And I would love to breed them. My plan was to giveway my rams and re place them with an angel breeding pair. The internent said angels should breed in 20gallons. But some people have said that they sucsesfully breeded them in 10 gallons. My question is, does anyone have any experiance with breeding angelfish in a 10 gallon aquarium?

4 minutes ago, James Black said:

Hey all,

I have a 10 gallon that I have been breeding some rams. But my favorite fish is the angelfish. And I would love to breed them. My plan was to giveway my rams and re place them with an angel breeding pair. The internent said angels should breed in 20gallons. But some people have said that they sucsesfully breeded them in 10 gallons. My question is, does anyone have any experiance with breeding angelfish in a 10 gallon aquarium?

With the size angels get, I think that even though it should be possible to breed them in a 10 gallon tank, this would most certainly be detrimental for the angel's well being, which is why I personally wouldn't do it 

Edited by gcalberto

I personally would say no just due to the height that angels reach. I'd say 20 tall or 29 is the minimum size for breeding them if you're trying to maximize chances without a larger footprint tank. Most 10s are only 20x10x12" so there wouldn't be much height for the angelfish or room for it to even turn around at its adult size.

Can you breed angelfish in a 10 gallon aquarium, definitely yes. I was maintaining a couple of angelfish temporarily in a 10 gallon tank and Bam! They bred.

But that 10 gallon was far too small for them. I wouldn't do it anything less than a 20 gallon tank.

To breed angelfish at the very least you need one male and one female. Angelfish are almost impossible to sex by humans, but the angelfish themselves are pretty good at it. The strategy that I use is to buy half a dozen or so small angelfish and wait for pairs to form as they mature. Unless you have the resources and the availability to buy an already mated pair, this is likely the strategy (buying many juveniles) you will want to pursue. And if you have the resources to buy a mated pair of angelfish, you probably have the resources to buy at least a 20 gallon aquarium to house your expensive mated pair of angelfish in.

One of the most glorious spectacles you will ever witness as an aquarist is a proud pair of angelfish parents shepherding a cloud of miniature angels from here to there, back and forth in your aquarium. In a 10 gallon aquarium, the difference between here and there is mere inches. You would deprive yourself of one of the main reasons for breeding angels in the first place if you did not house them in a suitably large tank.

• Like 2