Pleco issue . What's going on?

Leoaqua

This is my clown pleco, I got him 11 years ago in aug 2010. Just yesterday, I notice something sticking out from the side of his whiskers? it looks the same way it looks in the pictures. its fuzzy to the eye, I cant tell what it is. The only changes that i've done to the tank its add new plants to the tank saturday, the 11th  from aquarium coop and adding liquid carbon daily. The pleco is pretty much active as it has always been, and its appetite is pretty good, no changes noted other than the fuzzy looking growth IMG_20210916_150449.jpg.36eabf0abd1c92c3bacd100513e0ff85.jpg

IMG_20210916_150313.jpg

IMG_20210916_150345.jpg

This right here is the picture of his other side which is normal

IMG_20210916_151744.jpg

IMG_20210916_151733.jpg

IMG_20210916_150216.jpg

IMG_20210916_150345.jpg

IMG_20210916_150242.jpg

Edited by Leoaqua
adding more information

It's possible  it age related as he's 11 years old life expectancy is 10-12 years for clown plecos  it could also be some type of growth or cyst as @lefty o     suggested I would monitor for the next couple of days if it starts to get worse than I would do a course of kanaplex in food  

Screenshot_20210806-030958~2.png

Edited by Colu

I looked around on google and found some pictures that show the same thing. The most common things mentioned gullflukes, hole in the head at the start, among several others. With there are pictures there no definite answer among them pictures. Most are post in other fish groups. One case the fish was dissected and Gill flukes were found. Sorry I didn’t find an away answer. Keep us updated 

I would not try to medicate a fish that old. Medicines can be hard on the fish organs and when it is that old the medicine might do more harm than good. I would just monitor but recognize that fish is quite old. If you had it for 11 years and it was  full grown at purchase it could easily be 12+ years old. I had a 5 year old swordtail die recently; i wasn't happy about it but they do age out over time. One of the reason is started keeping clown loaches; I should age out before they do.

On 9/20/2021 at 9:51 AM, anewbie said:

If you had it for 11 years and it was  full grown at purchase it could easily be 12+ years old

You know, thinking about it, he has always been the same size ever since i got it, could possibly be almost 12! 😮 I got him when I was coming back from Niagara falls from a small fish store on the way back, the fish store was in the middle of nowhere, and transported for 6 hours back to NYC. It will be pretty sad once i lose the pleco

• Sad 2

• 2 weeks later...