20211011_190832.jpg.9ae31fbc00de3d11240aad139976223d.jpg

Update on the basement tanks!

20g QT is currently being used as a Male endler grow out tank and wood soak for the time being. Six residents at the moment. The plants are establishing in the pots as I see new leaves coming up.

29g stump tank is still cycling. A couple juvenile endlers helping things along. Theres some wild white stuff on the wood. I know it is normal but I hope it isn't affecting the anubias. Which, by the way, I apparantly went a little heavy handed glut treating the bba on and I have nuked some of them. 😥 Background plants and moss are establishing but the foreground crypts are still unhappy about being moved. I think I want to get some mystery snails in here but the big box here are rough and there is no real lfs.

---

image.jpg.c69527ce246c356e9d9f524004ffe6ad.jpg

In the 90g, things already seem to be perking up after redoing the dosing regimen. Pretty sure I was a significantly under dosing nitrates. I still haven't connected the autodoser as I dont know where to mount it yet. Dry dosing for now. Trying to cut down the number of trumpet snails, killed 100 of them last night. Loachie looking chubby this morning. I think I'm going to replant the entire sag section next, removing all the old super tall plants as the bacopa is growing in. Really looking forward to the other stem plants establishing.

Last night, I was pretty tired so I decided to spend some time just watching the guppy tank and Ada decided to join me.

2094750006_IMG_80922.jpg.54450b1e24c577ff8c449b6fdb2f843c.jpg

After watching for 15 minutes or so, my wife asked me to swap out the chair and pull the love sofa over and we could all watch. There are like 150 fish in here now, even if you cant see them. She took some photos on her iPhone.

2057932392_IMG_81122.jpg.f08c3a558d9c41069c36c5efb266c99a.jpg

2007125571_IMG_81132.jpg.2031d3af85c7fcf801ef4a3a8f00dcf7.jpg

1272952064_IMG_81212.jpg.832697bca7b29c32de19e6556dfedb63.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 4

On 10/14/2021 at 7:09 PM, Patrick_G said:

Oh, I was close! Nice looking pup, looks like she’s not docked. 

Illusion. She is.

----

I waited until they finished and pulled the slate. I wasnt planning on raising angels again, but my wife asked me to and as a new CAS member I  figure I can submit to the BAP ... assuming the eggs are viable.

20211014_192736.jpg.206d2d61ae3314ea2f83a3d1ba998835.jpg

20211014_193746.jpg.f6ec7f571a3323186dc7c95b4365ff5d.jpg

• Like 2

Looks like most of the eggs are fertilized.

---

I decided to go with wood for the basement rack. I also decided to start with a smaller stand to go under the window just out of frame. It will hold the 29g to the left of it, and the 20g qt tank. I made one mistake and we will see if it has an impact. Can you tell the specific thing I did?

20211015_212005.jpg.b7a081be9fede4330fdfb321b0ef73c0.jpg

On 10/16/2021 at 9:40 AM, Vanish said:

Looks like most of the eggs are fertilized.

---

I decided to go with wood for the basement rack. I also decided to start with a smaller stand to go under the window just out of frame. It will hold the 29g to the left of it, and the 20g qt tank. I made one mistake and we will see if it has an impact. Can you tell the specific thing I did?

20211015_212005.jpg.b7a081be9fede4330fdfb321b0ef73c0.jpg

The right side looks higher.  Might also be some forced perspective but when I line up a straight edge to the water level the stand doesn’t quite align with the straight edge.

On 10/16/2021 at 6:36 PM, Odd Duck said:

The right side looks higher.  Might also be some forced perspective but when I line up a straight edge to the water level the stand doesn’t quite align with the straight edge.

Good guess! However, that's just the camera lens distortion. When I cut the rabbet for the lower shelf, I cut UP instead of DOWN, so the shelf wound up 3.5 inches higher than I meant it to be, which means I'll have that much less working room. Luckily, I had given myself extra since I wasn't trying to squeeze in 3 shelves here.

PS: For the curious, the top is attached with pocket holes.

This is the pair's first known spawn, though the male spawned with a different female of ours years ago. The angelfish eggs seem to have been about 70% fertilized. We're guessing about 100ish good eggs. My wife thinks I might have pulled them too soon. The others are starting to wiggle this morning, but are still attached to the slate. I did a water change and removed some of the white eggs.

• Like 1

The auction yesterday was a lot of fun. I had never been to anything to do with the Colorado Aquarium Society before. I ended up staying until the end, which was not the plan, but was well worth it. From what I overheard, there were about 1/2 as many people and 1/3 as many auctions as non-COVID times, but it was plenty to keep me entertained.

Total purchases were as follows:

Quick Sale: Pogostemon 'Octopus' Stellatus, Süsswassertang, Ludwigia Arucata, Helanthium Vesusvius, Hydor Koralia Nano

Auction: 6x M. Parva Sunset Dwarf Rainbowfish, 6x Super Red SF Bristlenose, 2x Synodontis Multipunctatus, 1x Yoyo Loach, 1x Turqoise Rainbowfish, 12x Fire Red Cherry Shrimp

More photos to come when tank lights come on. I bid on LOTS of auctions but got great deals on these. I'm about at limit now.

There was a silent auctio n on about 20 tanks occurring simultaneously. I ended winning TWO 20g long for $1 each?!?! Nobody else even bid on them!

20211016_213418.jpg.027a65f3ef5a22edc9283346bc8bcee5.jpg

20211016_213953.jpg.250cf2d2fe0d90e88fc7e938fad4ab90.jpg

• Like 4

Other things of note from the auction:

It was not a cichlid crowd, so some people got ridiculous deals. Like $1 for 3x $30+ fish.

There were NO RAMS and one "unknown" Apistogramma. Very surprising to me.

Very few guppies, but the ones that were there sold well. Mostly Endlers and Green Cobra Snakeskin. I was hoping to bring home some more guppies but there was nothing I was into.

There were also no Boesmani or Madagascar rainbowfish. Get to breeding.

I could not win a Corydoras auction. They were very popular. I really need to get into breeding them!

Edited by Vanish

20211017_125901.jpg.d6d0b1e0dd73a8d6e0344214507d6627.jpg

Helanthium Vesusvius, Ludwigia Arucata and Pogostemon 'Octopus' Stellatus

Most of that went into the 90g, pulling out some of the Sag and the Hygro polysperma. We might as well call that a collectoritis tank now. I need to stop messing with it and let the plants grow.

• Like 3

On 10/17/2021 at 8:06 AM, Vanish said:

Good guess! However, that's just the camera lens distortion. When I cut the rabbet for the lower shelf, I cut UP instead of DOWN, so the shelf wound up 3.5 inches higher than I meant it to be, which means I'll have that much less working room. Luckily, I had given myself extra since I wasn't trying to squeeze in 3 shelves here.

😔 , this is what kills me in my own carpentry. The rule is measure twice, cut once but that doesn’t work if you measure from the wrong end. 
In any case your stand look clean and well built. Nice work! 

• Thanks 1

The new cherry shrimp are in the paludarium, along with the Süsswassertang and another anubias nana petite. Things looks a bit messy below the water line, but that's ok.

The above water left side, which gets water running down through it, is doing pretty well. The big fern is bouncing back, and the smaller ferns are establishing. The right side is not doing very well, which doesn't surprise me. I was hoping the local humidity would be enough, but it doesn't appear to be the case. There is a creeping fern that has its roots in the water that is doing ok, and the black tipped fern (about 1/3 of the way above the water) seems like it might establish.  The java moss is starting to take hold in the main "waterfall" area.

I have a bit of scalloping from the old tank glass that I can't seem to get rid of - something I should have noticed and dealt with before I ever built the tank . I've tried the usual vinegar trick, but it didn't seem to work. Maybe I just need to do it again, with a longer contact time?

IMG_8176.jpg.61c12989e7b5ecaaa894e4229c8ea9b4.jpg

IMG_8177.jpg.8acb4d526deba8e8117b816aa6b27ec1.jpg

IMG_8178.jpg.5e02525f21961ab8cfa72b84cdddb733.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 1

The 29g is still going through its settling phase, but I decided to put the Sunset Dwarf Rainbows in there. They had colored back up overnight but sadly washed right back out as soon as I walked up to the tank. I also added a bristlenose and some Helanthium Vesusvius a couple hours after this photo.

IMG_8189.jpg.22839d6151b4dd430c6c512c4ec2edb9.jpg

IMG_8192.jpg.549ecc43817c910e17120767c12fe9f8.jpg

• Like 3

The angelfish should be free swimmers soon. However, we just found out we're going to travel for Thanksgiving, and now I am unsure if I will be able to raise them properly. I don't want to spend a month diligently caring for them only to have them die while we are away. I don't really have any local fish folk who would be interested in helping. Its one thing to ask a friend to feed your adult fish a couple times, but fry are a different story.

On 10/21/2021 at 11:50 AM, Vanish said:

The angelfish should be free swimmers soon. However, we just found out we're going to travel for Thanksgiving, and now I am unsure if I will be able to raise them properly. I don't want to spend a month diligently caring for them only to have them die while we are away. I don't really have any local fish folk who would be interested in helping. Its one thing to ask a friend to feed your adult fish a couple times, but fry are a different story.

I would talk to your lfs and also to folx in the CAS, and see if anyone can help in exchange for some offspring. Down here in our NMAS, there are a few of us who jump at the chance to take care of fry as a method of expanding our breeding stock.

If you won't be gone more than 4 days, a green water tank or a daphnia tank may do the trick.

Look at how many people in here have posted in the past month that they didn't realize that there were any remaining fry, and when they went to move a breeding pair into the tank were surprised by something darting across. 

Fry are incredibly resourceful at getting themselves fed as long as they are in a seasoned tank.

• Like 2