Fishless cycle question - too much Nitrite

Gideyon

I'm doing a fishless cycle but encountering very high nitrites.  I can't tell the difference between the higher purples. It could even be above that.  

I read that if ammonia is too high, it can stall the cycle.  Can something similar happen to nitrites?   What about nitrates?  Both are extremely high.  

I don't want to do a water change if I don't have to. 

Any advice would be appreciated 

How long has your tank been set up? And what is the size? Do you have plants in it already, or are you running a dark start? Are you using substrate that has added fertilizer in it?

With a dark start without plants I was letting it run for a total of 4 weeks without light, plants, or livestock; just filtration, substrate, hardscape, and heater, Prime added at the beginning, nothing else. No water change, no turning the lights on for checking. no re-arranging, nothing. After four weeks I drained the water for a 100% water change, planted, and turned the lights on. 50% water change every week now, ferts added after one week, invertebrates after two weeks, and fish after another week. Never an issue with ammonia cycle, or its products for over a year now and running.

• Like 1

When I did my fishless cycle....needless to say there was an ooops and I accidentally dosed ammonia to well above 4ppm.....I ust let it ride.  I added Fritz 7 every other day and just let it go....then the ammonia started coming down and guess where the Nitrites went....You guessed it...they took off like my first wife🙄   I again just let it ride...3 weekslater I was zero ammonia and zero nitrites and nitrates were 20 or so an the plants were loving life.  Moral to the story....LET IT RIDE.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Ammonia reached 2ppm on August 29. I I started getting nitrites last week. Ammonia was 0ppm on Saturday, but nitrates were very high in the reds. Nitrites were also very high. 

I had a drop in nitrites but I think that was an anomaly. Maybe a faulty test. Because after that, it went into the high purples again. 

I figured the nitrites would be around the same amount as the ammonia.  But it's a lot higher. 

But one thing to note... When I said I "reached" 2ppm ammonia, I was having problems detecting ammonia. I added over 40 drops of Dr Tim's, but only got 0.5ppm.   I thought maybe an issue with my substrate and KH.   So I put 2.5 tsp of baking soda. Finally after adding 20 drops, I got 2ppm..   I don't know if those ammonia drops that didn't register initially were released and converted.  Driving up the nitrites and eventually the nitrates. 

It's a 10g with no plants.   Baked clay substrate (3")

So if the high nitrites and nitrates won't stall anything, I'll "let it ride" 

Thanks for the input

• Like 1