Which treatment should I use

ThomasLC

Seems my female discus named Ninja, who is my egg layer in the tank has a bit of bacteria.  Which treatment should I use to clear this up quickly.  Temp is at 86.  All water parameters are fine.  I change water every other day minimum.  Sometimes every day just to keep it clean.

I have a UV light floating in my sump.  I should run that more perhaps.  I just worry about it damaging the beneficial bacteria. 

But Meds, I am using Seachem Paraguard.

PXL_20210914_142757539.MP.jpg

OK, jokes on me.  That we just some of the white fuzz from the tank being new.  Bio media is from an established tank.  But the fuzz bloom you get is on its ending stages and ninja bushed up against it.  Two minutes later after I looked at him it was all gone.  Just a parent being a worry wort.  but the question on UV light still stands.

• Like 1

Your UV light in the sump isn’t going to affect your beneficial bacteria unless it exposes media in the sump.  If your UV is in an enclosed filter, it shouldn’t bother your BB’s at all.  If it’s just laying in the sump next to your biofiltration media, then it could have some effect on the area closest to the bulb.  It shouldn’t affect areas deeper in, say, a sponge layer, for instance.  If you’re using very translucent bioballs, it might matter.

There are many plastics that block UV light, too.  It’s possible your sump could be made of plexi that blocks most UV.  Then your UV isn’t going to affect biofiltration in a different compartment.  Remember, you’re BB’s aren’t in the water column much.  They’re primarily attached to surfaces.  That’s what biofiltration media is about, providing abundant surface area to colonize while providing water flow with oxygen exposure/availability.

• Like 1