Rookie Mistake- FULL PANIC MODE

ADMWNDSR83

So I got my order from ACO today, and was thrilled at how great the plants looked!  In fact I was so excited about the plants that I realized after putting the plants in, doing a 75% water change, and optimizing my filter with a pre-intake sponge and purigen for the first time, that I FORGOT TO RINSE THE PURIGEN!  My water is now a milky white.  Do I have to do another major water change right away?  Did I just sentence all my fish to death?  Or will the cloudiness go away with time as the filter processes the water?  PLEASE HELP!! 

I wonder if water clarifier would help bind the dust better to get picked up your filter floss.

One time I added a bag of purigen that I didn't realize had a small tear in the seam of the bag. Sudden burst of tiny purigen beads in the water column, fish trying to eat it over and over. Looked like my plants had ich. Total mess. Luckily the stuff is completely harmless, just took a few gravel vacs over the weeks to get it out.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, StephenP2003 said:

I wonder if water clarifier would help bind the dust better to get picked up your filter floss.

One time I added a bag of purigen that I didn't realize had a small tear in the seam of the bag. Sudden burst of tiny purigen beads in the water column, fish trying to eat it over and over. Looked like my plants had ich. Total mess. Luckily the stuff is completely harmless, just took a few gravel vacs over the weeks to get it out.

Thanks, I happen to have some clarity, so I think I'll dose it and see what tomorrow brings.

When I make a mess I turn off whatever causes agitation in of the water column. I let things settle (which means I have to go find something else to do lol!), and then either vacuum or add a medium sized HOB filter on and turn things back on. I run sponge filters for my main filtration. But I find if I've made a mess of things throwing a HOB on really gets things cleaned up quickly.

I try not to use additives because it seems like once you add one thing you're adding another to counteract that one and then it throws something out of whack and pretty soon you have a much bigger mess than you started with. Plus it adds more expenses to the hobby.

Sometimes additives are necessary - I'm not saying that, but I try the least method first and see where that gets me.

Hope it turns out well for you!

• Thanks 1