Planted 25 gallon half cylinder

Solstice_Lacer

Got this tank and stand from Craigslist on a good deal. Added some flourite to the crushed coral that was included. Put some rocks in. A couple sticks turned into trees. One with anubius nangi and java fern, the other with anubius nana petite and java fern. One is stuck into the substrate and one has small rocks super glued to the base along with java moss. Planted 2 amazon sword, two kinds of valisneria, water wisteria and water sprite, pogostemon octopus, some scarlet temple, a tiger lotus, another big java fern on a rock,  hornwort and duck weed floating. I may have forgotten a plant. A couple dry almond leaves. Also please forgive any plant misspellings 😅

Right now just shrimp and snails while I wait (im)patiently for things to cycle and balance. There is algae on the glass but the snails seem to be gaining ground.

Also made my typical painted paper/cardboard background taped to the back

20210913_111111~2.jpg

• Like 8
  • Love 3

Algae has pretty much cleared. Water looks clear. Snails are exploding a bit so I transferred one assassin snail from my other tank. Also transferred more overgrown hornwort. Tiger lotus is looking good.

My nitrites still seem to be not quite zero so I continue waiting. This tank seems to be taking its time cycling. 

Is there a tipping point where one day it will suddenly be absolute zero nitrites, or can I do anything to help it along at this point. It's been about a month.

20210919_112248.jpg

20210919_112309.jpg

• Like 3

Well From your first post to now its been 7 days.  I am not sure if the first post was day one of setup up but from what I can see...things are moving along nicely.  

I know it is is everybody nature to want to rush things along....heck Amazon seems to have cemented that into people but by taking your time during this stage will pay off huge later.  

The tank looks great.  Let it do its thing and soon enough youll be enjoying it to its max potential.

• Like 1

Power went out for a couple days... Everything seems fine. Temp dropped to about 68 but the only thing in my tanks is shrimp and snails and plants and they apparently didn't care. Tiger lotus is taking off. Thinking about getting another one for a planted bowl

20210926_160026.jpg

20210926_155913.jpg

Edited by Solstice_Lacer
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/27/2021 at 1:30 PM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

I've always liked half cylinder tanks, and that one looks quite nice! ... I think it's under appreciated.  You've made the most of that setup.  Nicely done!

I agree! The plants look great. How's that cycle going--any fish yet?

• Thanks 1

On 10/7/2021 at 8:04 PM, PineSong said:

I agree! The plants look great. How's that cycle going--any fish yet?

Thanks. No fish yet, maybe next week. I've been distracted from the tank this past week. Been waiting for nitrites to completely zero out. Hopefully when I check next they have.

I had a tank that took forever, too. I felt like in my case it was a case of melting floating plants causing a crazy overload, but I didn't figure that out until after the melt was complete. I just kept standing there bewildered that the nitrites could be that high with "nothing in the tank". 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Started from the bottom now we're here. Tiger lotus grows fast. I decided to move most of my shrimp into this tank. They seem to be thriving and using the whole tank, and I figure this odd shape is better suited to shrimp than fish. I also managed to move my assassin snail to this tank. Clearing the way for my more horizontal tank to have mystery snails and either panda corys or bristlenose pleco. Possibly endlers or something else small and temperate.

20211102_094125.jpg

20211102_094134.jpg

• Like 1