Are these even worth it? Does co-op have something equitable?

Marcy

So I got these hang on the side sponge filters, but I’m not really convinced they do anything compared to my normal weighted sponge filters. All of my tanks are 10g and 5 g. So space is at a premium. Here are pictures of the one I have in now, and the ones I used to haves 

image.jpg

image.jpg

They perform the same function. I have 4 or 5 of the kind that stick on the back with suction cups. I do like the ability to move the positioning of the sponge if needed. However, 3 of them just won't stay stuck to the side. I eventually zip tied a rock to the bottom and and now they are weighted 🙂

• Like 2

Agree with @Griznatch, the suction cups eventually fail, although they seem to take longer than many other brands.  I have a few of these I will probably give away or sell cheap, but I popped them in what became the puffer grow out just before I spotted the baby puffers in there.  They’ll give baby puffers plenty to pick at, so it worked out.

• Like 2

The first ones are tricky to use and need a bit of tuning, unlike the weighted 'plop-in' weighted sponges. IME the suction cup types do best with the 90 degree head removed to increase flow if the plan is to keep the outlet under the water. If you extend the outlet above the water line the 90 degree head can stay and is more effective on flow since there isn't a choke point for air.

The suction cups themselves are something that always tend to fail overtime. You can find some of the magnetic clips that work on heaters or spray bars that clip to the uplift tubes and you can hold them in place with the magnet (on on the clip and one on the exterior of the tank.)

• Like 2

When it comes to air, it wants to go the path of least resistance. The included 90 degree is too sharp of a turn and creates a choke point/temporary air lock which causes the flow to decrease. If the bend was smoother, albeit causes the pipe to be longer and less compact, the flow would be drastically different. In order to not reinvent the wheel, you can pull the 90 degree and keep the lift tube under the water which will create more lift in the tube that's constant (you will still have to tune the air with a valve) or you can raise the 90 degree to the point it's 50% or more out the water to reduce the air lock if you wish to have directional flow.

Edited by Tihshho
  • Like 1

So if I’m reading these right, I can remove that black 90° tube and it will increase the flow into the sponge? I am ok with that. I really like that they’re on the side. I have a plethora of suction cups that I purchased. (Thanks Amazon) so I’m not worried about that. 

thanks everyone! 

ps. I think I found a dragonfly nymph in my tank! Posted on another topic.

• Like 1

Sometimes the elbows are press fit, sometimes they are glued. If you cannot easily pull it off don't force it. The outlet should be telescopic so you can raise it. If you really want to you can take a razor and score around the base of a glued 90 to remove it, but realize it's a permanent modification and re attaching the elbow is not going to be easy/possible.

• Like 2