KH For Humans?

Geoff kuiken

Anyone know if humans can benefit from KH? (I’m not serious).

feels like I’m emotionally crashing hard all the time and the concept of kh buffering water to prevent crashes is a great analogy.  What are some things you guys do to not just fix emotional health but also maintain and strengthen it?  

On 9/13/2021 at 8:39 AM, JettsPapa said:

I've been fortunate to not have much trouble with that, but talking to a good counselor can help.  If that isn't a good option, for whatever reason, try focusing your emotional energy on the positive things in your life instead of the negative ones.

Thank you I agree as well. 

The best buffers for human moods are: going to bed well before midnight and getting 7+ hours of sleep, 30+ minutes per day of outdoor activity/sunshine, eating protein throughout the day and avoiding big carb/sugar meals, participating in activities (hobbies, sports, whatever) that allow you to feel growth and accomplishment, and meaningful connection to others (others don't have to be people, they can be critters). 

I work in the field of moods and the current worst "buffer-removers" are: social media/phone addiction, constant viewing of politicized news, sedentary lifestyle, lack of social interaction/meaningful connection to others, 3rd shift work/lack of daylight, sugar-based diet.  Clearly, many of these are related and stack on top of each other to suck an awful lot of "buffer" out of people's lives.

I like the KH analogy--all the crummy parts of life are not made enjoyable by being well rested, well-exercised, feeling good about your job/hobby/art, getting sunshine and spending time with others who appreciate you--but they are buffered into being less miserable.

• Like 5

On 9/15/2021 at 9:27 PM, PineSong said:

sugar-based diet

I quit eating sugar a long time ago. I read all labels even though I seldom eat processed foods. My hubby and I have 1 ice cream date each week. That day I always feel sluggish and just not energetically happy. When I stopped consuming sugar my moods swung wildly for a week then stabilized to rock solid. Very little phases me now. This is real as sugar is in almost all processed foods and overloads our system. 
sunshine also works. 😁

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 2

@PineSongWell said. I do indeed feel my best when I do those things. I'm glad I never got in to social media. People thought I was weird and probably still do when I never got a myspace and refused to sign up for facebook. Nowadays a lot of them are concerned about privacy and all the information they put out that's always going to be there. I didn't do it to be weird though. I worked in a field where we foresaw how that information COULD be used and decided I'd rather not.

Edited by sudofish
  • Like 2

On 9/15/2021 at 9:33 PM, sudofish said:

@PineSongWell said. I do indeed feel my best when I do those things. I'm glad I never got in to social media. People thought I was weird and probably still do when I never got a myspace and refused to sign up for facebook. Nowadays a lot of them are concerned about privacy and all the information they put out that's always going to be there.

There are two categories of people profiting greatly from Facebook and cable news: therapists and psychiatrists. It's like printing money, pretty much. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/13/2021 at 2:24 PM, Geoff kuiken said:

Anyone know if humans can benefit from KH? (I’m not serious).

feels like I’m emotionally crashing hard all the time and the concept of kh buffering water to prevent crashes is a great analogy.  What are some things you guys do to not just fix emotional health but also maintain and strengthen it?  

We are going through times that have tested all of us and removed (or restricted) our access to what we do to stay strong and often we don't even know what those things are.

The first thing I do when things seem hard is visit the doctor and get a blood test. Quite a few vitamin deficiencies affect mental health dramatically and once figured out a cheap and easy remedy. No matter how good your diet is it is nearly impossible to get everything you need in the right amounts. Once you know you are physically fit you know you need to look for talking therapy and some decent self care. Going for a long walk with a good friend can work wonders.

So as to your point about buffering yes we need it but I probably think more like easy green for nutritional benefits.  

• Like 1