What’s wrong with my Fish?

Brenda

Could be Popeye disease. Read this. You can treat Popeye disease with this. Your water may be poorly filtered, and over fed leading to concentration of harmful bacteria / likely infections.

I’ve had this with fish before… sorry your facing it. I’d do a 30% water change, and hold off feeding until you’re doing meds.

Just wanted to add a little more information, the tank is 125 gallon long, there are 6 African cichlids and two bristle nose plate those that are babies, all of the African cichlids are still juvenile, We have done water test with the API test kit and all levels are perfect with everything. Four yellow labs and three have died so far, the fish in the photo has both cloudy eyes, and another one has one cloudy eye. The tank has been running for approximately one month. It has a 4x canister filter and a sponge filter, we lightly sprinkle in African Cichlid pellets two times a day, approximately a teaspoon each time. I gravel vac 25% water change once a week. We have eight other aquariums that have absolutely no issues. The tank in the photo is the one on the right that’s having the issues

5FFFF88F-94AC-4E73-9EC7-8727A04D26CC.jpeg

So I had 8 cichlids and 2 bristle nose plecos in the tank and after 2 courses of metronidazole and have lost all but one cichlid and the plecos. 😓 So at this point my question is should I take out the 3 remaining fish and put them in a different cycled tank? What do I do with the 125 now? 

• Sad 1

I would keep them in that tank it's more than likely a bacterial infection that why you have losted most of your in such a short period of time I would treat with kanaplex and metroplex in food he some food recipes 

Screenshot_20210806-030958~2.png

Screenshot_20210815-162016~2.png

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1

So tonight when I got home from work the last of my eight African cichlids died, I drained the tank put everything outside so I can sterilize things this weekend, I put the two Plecos in a 10 gallon quarantine tank and I’ll continue to monitor their condition but they seem fine still. I double checked the pH level before draining the water and it was 7.95

That ph is about what I keep mine at. 7.8 they seem to thrive. I was taught that low ph cussed cloudy eyes. I think it was flukes, here’s why, first I don’t think it was ph, next in the pic of something on the fish behind the fin. Last the when I zoomed to to the picture the whole is not uniformly white which is the way I have seen low ph fish so I think high ph would do the same. It looks like a small hole in the middle of the white area( zoomed on pic). Flukes can do this. I hope you restock after you disinfect. I love your tank set up. If it was a smaller aquarium I might have suggested to treat the tank but it big and not necessary specially since you’re going to Destin fact

BDBA83FD-3E26-48D6-AD2E-96D421D93CAC.jpeg

• Like 1

So moving on, I watched one of Cory`s videos about contaminated tanks and he said to put a crazy amount of salt in it and turn the heat up to 100 and leave that for about 1 week, then rinse and do it again. Dose anyone have any input on this? 

salt tank 1.jpg