How often do you feed your fish?

When there is nothing on TV and I have watched every video to the YT channels I am subscribed to, I start to watch other videos. There is a lot of back and fourth regarding how often to feed fish. 

The fish I have in QT are fed more often to get them healthy, fat and ready for their new home. However my other tanks are fed every 2nd day and the pea puffer is fed everyday (1 fasting day a week). 

Is this too little? still too much? Curious to know what everyone does with their fish?

I feed daily, sometimes twice when I'm trying to fatten up some fish. I have a ton of shrimp so I feel the need to feed a bit extra to ensure they get some. This is something I've been contemplating lately though, I plan to try once a day  and add in a fasting day as this is what Gary Lange does and it seems to work for his rainbows (I keep rainbows mainly).

Twice a day for me and pretty heavy feedings too. In the morning everyone gets flake food, green beans, and shrimp pellets. In the afternoon more flake food, tubifex worms, and more green beans. (I feed neon swordtails and super red bristlenose plecos mostly. There are a few cory cats, and an elusive oto also.) If I have frozen bloodworms or brine shrimp they'll get added to the afternoon feeding but I haven't had them for a while. I'm experimenting with frozen shrimp (the human kind, precooked, shelled, deveined) as a grazing food. I just bought a bag today and dropped one in my 50 gallon tank. I think the plecos will graze on it off and on through the day, but it's hard to say as the swordtails swarmed it and have been picking it apart. If a fish dies and I don't find it the plecos will devour it, so I think they'll do the same with the shrimp. Assuming they can push their way through the swordtails to get to it. I like keeping fish well fed. 

Edited by gardenman

It depends on the species of fish small tetra have a higher metabolism in the wild constantly eat small amounts of food though out the day catfish like bristlenose I feed once a day as the food am feeding them has same  nutritional content that they would eat in a day in the wild  in one feeding

Edited by Colu
  • Like 2

I'm with @Colu on this. It all depends on the species stocked, the volume and the intentions. If it's a display tank cut the feedings down as much as possible. Once per day or every other depending on the species should be enough. If  you're working on breeding, raising fry, or trying to get fish in QT healthy prior to their final tank destination feeding more often will be necessary to get them where they need to be. 

I feed small amounts multiple times a day with 1 fasting day a week. The corys and plecos get a dedicated feeding once a day 30 minutes before the light goes off. I spend lots of time with my tanks when I am home thru the week and like to feed my fish. I also do a weekly 75% water change on each tank.

• Like 1

On 9/10/2021 at 9:13 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

I think that's just right. The less you feed is better in my opinion. That said, just make sure they aren't getting skinny.

I’m Italian…I keep pinching their cheeks saying eat eat ….your face is not round!!👨🏽‍🍳

• Like 1
  • Haha 8
  • Love 1

I feed once a day during the week and 2 or 3 times a day on the weekend depending on if there are fry or I’m trying to get something to spawn.

Usually make sure that there is a chunk of Repashy at all times for any pleco fry.

I don’t sweat it when I go on vacation for a week or so. 

Baby fry get food 2 times a day. Puffer tank with guppies every other day usually, sometime every two, puffer eats the guppies and they eat algae. Adult bettas, nano tank, and gourami, all every other day. Snails are around once a week. 

Scarlet badis and shrimp aren't fed specifically, they find their own food from the tank, or if I have left over bbs from fry. 

I fed to the fish. It’s is easier to feed a one species tank and fry. In my Community tanks I feed everyday just different types of foods. I will feed will one day with corys and the L333 in mind and other days the angels and discus. Plus I have some BBS left after fry and I might give some to the the community tanks. Most adults fish should not need food everyday(not all but most) I think you are doing well. The best way is watch you fish and make sure the slow feeders and bottom feeders get there food as well.