Ziss never clog air stone versus my hard water

sairving

After 6 months of use, my ziss never clog air stone wasn't putting out that many bubbles.  I took it apart and checked the little pads it came with.  The only way to describe them was crunchy.  Pretty sure its all the minerals from the water.  After replacing the stone, everything was back to normal.  It lasted much longer than most air stones.  They should change the advertising to, "It will never clog, unless your water is stupidly hard." Lol.

Maybe as a little experiment, I'll soak the pads in vinegar.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

On 9/10/2021 at 4:04 AM, Guppysnail said:

They come with replacement green pads for this is why I love them. You can also cut non chemically treated white felt and use when you run out of pads. 😁

Not sure if I'd want to try and cut new felt pieces.  Normally, I don't mind doing fiddly things, but it seems like buying a new stone would be easier.

On 9/10/2021 at 8:20 AM, sairving said:

Not sure if I'd want to try and cut new felt pieces.  Normally, I don't mind doing fiddly things, but it seems like buying a new stone would be easier.

I'd agree. The prices of the stones are not bad enough to warrant cutting pads. The only caveat to this is that if you're replacing a bunch of them after the included replacement felt is already used. If you're maintaining more than 10 of these stone it would be a nice option to be able to buy a package of the replacement pads from Ziss rather than having to buy more stones.

• Like 4

On 9/10/2021 at 9:30 AM, Tihshho said:

I'd agree. The prices of the stones are not bad enough to warrant cutting pads. The only caveat to this is that if you're replacing a bunch of them after the included replacement felt is already used. If you're maintaining more than 10 of these stone it would be a nice option to be able to buy a package of the replacement pads from Ziss rather than having to buy more stones.

I just have one tank at the moment so replacing the entire stone after the pads are gone isn't a big deal. If your running multiple tanks or a fish room, I could see where it would become an issue. In that case it would probably be easier to buy air stones in bulk.

A pack of replacement pads would be nice though. 

• Like 2

I also have had them clog up on me because of the hardness of the water. I saved every felt pad I’ve ever gotten in the pack, so replacing the felt allows them to run like new. It’s a super easy fix, however eventually I will run out of pads, and I second the notion of purchasing a bag of these. @Cory this would be a great idea!! 

• Like 4

Well, soaking them in vinegar sort of worked.  It removed the minerals but not any other gunk that may be stopping the flow.  As another experiment, I may try washing them with a tiny bit of dish soap.  Its probably easier to just replace the pads and eventually the stone.

• Like 1

On 9/13/2021 at 8:42 AM, sairving said:

Well, soaking them in vinegar sort of worked.  It removed the minerals but not any other gunk that may be stopping the flow.  As another experiment, I may try washing them with a tiny bit of dish soap.  Its probably easier to just replace the pads and eventually the stone.

Try peroxide now that the mineral is cleared.  Peroxide should clear most any organic debris.

• Like 4