Guppy with Blisters on Dorsal Fin

AnsleyBleu

Has anyone ever seen "blisters" on the dorsal fin of their guppy before?
This guy is over two years old, maybe close to three years old and is the only guppy in a moderately planted community tank right now.

Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - about 30ppm
GH - very hard
Total Alkalinity - 180?
PH - about 7.8
Temp - about 80

guppy1.jpg

guppy2.jpg

Edited by AnsleyBleu
uploaded photos

On 9/9/2021 at 11:04 PM, AnsleyBleu said:

Has anyone ever seen "blisters" on the dorsal fin of their guppy before?
This guy is over two years old, maybe close to three years old and is the only guppy in a moderately planted community tank right now.

Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - about 30ppm
GH - very hard
Total Alkalinity - 180?
PH - about 7.8
Temp - about 80

Can you try uploading photos? Can't seem to see any.

It could cancer's growths or  fluid filled cysts  I  would treat with epsom salt bath 1 table spoon for 2 gallons for no more than 15 minutes 2-3 times a day it will help reduce the fluid if you see no improvement after 3 days of salt baths I would start to treat with kanaplex in food

Screenshot_20210806-030958~2.png

• Like 1

I do think age is part of it. I think it is a gas bubble disease probably caused by poor nitrogen processing in the fish due to its age. The nitrates could be lower so small water change may help. I have read a few scholarly papers I could found and the description is the same all say water quality is the problem, however I don’t think that is really think that is the case here. I would go back to age of the fish and it’s ability to process those gasses.  On of the closes things I could find is with pictures is (yes it is not an aquarium fish but does illustrate the bubbles.) there is a picture posted in another post here from May of this year. I could not link it but I tried to include the Author of the post in on it. No answer was find there but pictures are very similar https://www.google.com/amp/s/billingsgazette.com/lifestyles/recreation/fish-blistered-by-high-nitrogen-levels-in-bighorn-river/article_7a546ca7-46b6-5907-a4fc-64ab42ad3745.amp.html

I agree with @colu epson salt treatment in case it is not gases but fluids in the blisters. Again I think age is the overriding factor.

• Like 1

On 9/10/2021 at 1:51 PM, Brandon p said:

I do think age is part of it. I think it is a gas bubble disease probably caused by poor nitrogen processing in the fish due to its age. The nitrates could be lower so small water change may help. I have read a few scholarly papers I could found and the description is the same all say water quality is the problem, however I don’t think that is really think that is the case here. I would go back to age of the fish and it’s ability to process those gasses.  On of the closes things I could find is with pictures is (yes it is not an aquarium fish but does illustrate the bubbles.) there is a picture posted in another post here from May of this year. I could not link it but I tried to include the Author of the post in on it. No answer was find there but pictures are very similar https://www.google.com/amp/s/billingsgazette.com/lifestyles/recreation/fish-blistered-by-high-nitrogen-levels-in-bighorn-river/article_7a546ca7-46b6-5907-a4fc-64ab42ad3745.amp.html

I agree with @colu epson salt treatment in case it is not gases but fluids in the blisters. Again I think age is the overriding factor.

I don't think that has bubble disease looks like this

Screenshot_20210910-143723~2.png

Screenshot_20210910-143121~2.png

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1