Sump Set-up Question

Andrew Puhr

I bought a used 40 breeders that is drilled in the back upper corner and has a 1" bulkhead. It has a barbed fitting on the outside that I was going to put some pond tubing on and then run it into a 10 gallon sump I am using. I am trying to size my return pump right but I want to make sure I am planning this correctly so I don't overflow the sump or the display tank. I am just looking for some guidance for this planning. All the research I have done has shown anywhere from 300gph to 600gph which seems excessive but I don't want to get a large return pump if I am not going to need it. Since I am using flex tubing for my overflow and return I don't have a lot of options for restricting flow. 

Any help would be much appreciated. 

First, I'd up that sump so it's useful. 10 gallons as a sump is going to be maybe 1/2 full unless you baffle it. Going with a 20L would be ideal. It gives you space to hide hardware as well as add stuff as your needs grow as you use it. Second, flow is going to depend on your application. Are you going freshwater or salt? For salt, fish only or reef? Third, for pluming go with glued PVC, it's going to give you the best options for controlling and affixing your points of input and output to the sump, and on your return to the tank either put the outflow high enough so that the back siphoning isn't going to flood your sump, or put a one way valve to prevent siphoning. 

I don't have much for you in terms of pump specs without knowing some of the above.

@TihshhoThanks for your help. Freshwater. The bulkheads already have glued barb elbows from when I got them used and I really don't want to cut off and buy new bulkheads. I could use barbed reducers to help restrict flow from the overflow. into the sump. I was considering baffles if needed. I could also look at getting a return pump with adjustable flow to adjust as needed as well. I was looking at a spray bar to help distribute the return flow. 

Let me know your thoughts. I could add baffles to the 10. The main reason I am using it is that it already has a bulkhead and I can put a lid to limit evaporation. I am not married to the 10 but I don't want to buy a new tank for a sump if I don't have to. The 40 currently has a Aquaclear 70 just wanted to upgrade since I had the 10s on hand. 

IMHO, plug the bulkhead. The tank sounds like it was setup for an autowater change and not optimized for a sump. I could be wrong as I don't have pictures to reference.

Depending on the barbed end, if the diameter is too small that means you have overflow restrictions, that isn't ideal. That's a flood waiting to happen. When it comes to throttling flow it should be done on the pump end not the overflow end.

Since this is freshwater and a 40, I can't honestly say you're going to get the benefits a sump offers, and with a 10 gallon sump you're even more limited. Plug the bulkhead and use the tank as a normal tank.

I just finished setting up a sump and learned a lot! I'm certainly no expert, but in general I'd agree with the thoughts shared above. As to a return pump size, the variable flow pumps have really come down in price and certainly worth the cost to have that adjustability rather then buying several pumps till you get the right one. I added a Jebao DCW pump and found it to be much better quality then expected as an example.